Photographic needs and wants

I do belong to a couple of internet photographic sites and the number of times the question comes up " I want my camera/camcorder to be able to" . Then comes “it has to be fairly cheap”.
Getting cheap doesn’t meet the requirement asked for, like everything else it costs .
Then the complaints when cheap does produce what is required. No matter how much one endevours to help by fellow site members nine times out of ten it is ignored.
I often wonder why bother to try and help.
Another constant thing I notice is people have a problem with a camera/camcorder they describe the symptoms say like camera/camcorder shake but fail to inform on what and how it happens.
Then all one can do is make a guess .

1 Like

This comes up everywhere. I often read about people wanting cheap laptops (cameras, software, anything else).and then moan about it’s lack of performance/reliability or it doesn’t do “this” or “that”.

A rule in life when it comes to buying anything - especially tech - you ultimately get what you pay for. You can’t expect to buy a third hand Datsun and expect it to have Rolls Royce performance and spec. However, the world is populated with people who expect everything, but not prepared or able to pay for it, despite every piece of advice you give them.

2 Likes

I would love to get into photography more but find the costs prohibitive.
I really want to be able to photograph insects up close - Macro.
When I enquired about this in a store the price for just the macro lens began at AU$500 up to $1500.
Asking about lessons, there is a 4 hour course available for beginners.
Just not sure I am ready to spend the money for everything required.
Procrastination abounds. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My BH has won Macro competitions just using a p&s compact camera.She just get’s up close :grinning:

1 Like

There are alternatives to shoot macro other than a macro lens. Depending on your camera you can by a magnifying filter than screws into the end of your lens. If your lens is detachable you can by extension tubes which are really cheap which sit between the lens and the camera body (which is what I use occasionally). You can also buy a reverse mount, where your main lens is mounted backwards and you use your lens the wrong way round.

1 Like

You don’t need to have the latest camera gear to take decent photographs. There is a good second hand market for cameras/lenses as there are a lot of Togs out that when the latest camera/lens come out they have to have it and sell of there used kit. I use old legacy lenses that you can pick up at very reasonable prices and with adapter will fit most cameras. As has been said extension tubes. A bellows set you can pick up quite cheaply. I would suggest start off trying out these options before going out and buying expensive lenses look at the second hand market such as if you are in the UK look at MPB for used kit. You tube is full of videos an all types of photography.

1 Like