Peppa Pig Giving U.S. Kids British Accents

Are you all insidiously taking over our culture via Peppa Pig by changing the language patterns of our innocent three-year-olds? And what’s with a pig with two eyes on one side of her face :crazy_face:?

If you can get their parents to stop starting sentences with “Me and …” then bring it on :smile: :+1:

What have we Americans unintentionally done to your culture good or bad? Go ahead; I’ve donned my helmet and can take it :lol:.

1 Like

Payback time!!! :wink:

3 Likes

:joy: Fair enough.

2 Likes

Isn’t that what most Americans aspire to?

Speaking like the British…or having two eyes on one side of our faces?

:thinking: :grin:

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=al+murray+american+dream&rlz=1C1ASUM_enGB1035GB1035&oq=al+murry+and+american+drean&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgBEAAYFhgeMgYIABBFGDkyCAgBEAAYFhge0gEJMTQyMDZqMGo3qAIIsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:7587be4d,vid:Lr7bKYMuerA,st:0

a great standup comic

2 Likes

Let’s hope you don’t get Bluey then.

1 Like

Isn’t a British accent what posh Americans want? Elocution lessons for their kids?

My children say Lootenant instead of Lieutenant
Skedule instead of schedule
Autopsy instead of Post Mortem
but to be fair, they also say Arvo and Crikey
:joy::smile::joy:
I think it’s lovely we can share our language

1 Like

I’m just of to spend a penny in the John…

2 Likes

All languages evolve as new “things” made or discovered require new words to describe them. For centuries, the masses were illiterate and innumerate, and there was no common accepted form of spelling, let alone punctuation.

Common cultures divided, or different cultures combined, and each had an influence on the other’s language, so it is no wonder certain words sound different or even have different meanings depending on their origin, and their route.

The word sophisticate used to mean to spoil, but now, being sophisticated is often considered as something to which one might wish to aspire.

Whilst I still spell words they way I did when I were a lad, (“s” not "z), or “programme”, not “program”), the powers that be who write dictionaries for the UK language have decided that either is now correct. Personally, “programs” looks too much like the term for ethnic cleansing (pogroms) for me to ever want to use. Silly, I know, but in my head I can’t help it.

Americanisms I hope we will never adopt over here are things like, “burglarize.” It is an abomination and should never be used. The word is burgle, plain and simple.

However, there are some I would like to come in to use such as replacing diagonally-opposite with kitty-corner, a term possible derived from the cater-corner which in term was possibly derived from quatre-corner.

One of the worst cultural changes is the insipid creeping of “trick or treat” (aka, demanding sweets with menaces) which has usurped the UK tradition of “guising.” The latter involved kids going door to door and performing a trick, (singing, dancing, juggling, reciting poetry). If the trick was deemed acceptable, then the kid would be given a treat.

One recent change that I consider appalling was one of our politicians stating something to the effect that “it was appropriate for our prime minister to call an election on independence day.”
What? We don’t have, nor do we celebrate anything of the sort over here. Why would we give time to an insurrection by a bunch of traitors that evolved into a world war, especially as we lost, primarily because of the actions of the French forces?

In my opinion, it is good that we are all different. I think it would be a horrid and boring world if we were not, so let’s embrace our cultures and each others’ differences.

2 Likes

Posh Americans? That doesn’t have a meaning.

The ones who pretend they are? Like RealHousewives style?

Halloween was imported by Italy many years ago.I remember when my children were younger and at primary school, they would celebrate and my husband would always carve out a pumpkin for them ,to put on our wall outside our house.Many other houses in the neighbourhood did too. It was quite sweet driving past all those Jack 'o lanterns :grinning:
Nowadays,costume parties are organised, not only for kids but also teenagers and young adults.Trick or treating too.Shops are full of costumes and all the rest. Especially the Chinese-run stores.
The funny thing is, I never ever did anything for Halloween when I lived in London, except for school activities when I was a child. :rofl:

I don’t think we’ve exported our Carnival :grinning:

1 Like

There are quite a few reasons that some are finding elocution lessons helpful for annunciation and projection, but as far as I know, accent training is separate and geared to General American English, which is most commonly spoken in the middle of the country (Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois).

In our (usually indefensible :rofl:) defense; we tend to believe what’s on the page; nary an “f” in lieutenant and I am pretty sure that there is a “c” in schedule, as in, “We received the “skool skedule” yesterday.” I am with you that it is a very good thing that we share our (mostly) common language!

1 Like

That’s funny, butterscotch! :laughing:

1 Like

Great post, Fruitcake!

I couldn’t agree more (except for the traitor part :grin:). Unfortunately, that little 18th century, necessary evil kept us beholden to the French for far too long (though long-since paid in repaid in full) :icon_wink:.
In all seriousness, we are reminded that this is coincidentally the anniversary of D-Day.

I purely enjoy the differences too; for the most part they keep us curious, traveling, enjoy new things, romantic, and self-evaluative.

1 Like