Peak District climber injured after boulder 'thrown off' crag

Edale Mountain Rescue Team was called to Bamford Edge, Derbyshire, to reports of a climber with a leg injury below Great Tor on Saturday at 14:15 BST. The team said “fortunately the climber was wearing a helmet which took a glancing blow before hitting his leg”. The rescue team said a group of males “ran off before they could be apprehended” after the rock was thrown.

The man had sustained severe muscle bruising to his leg and was taken to Northern General Hospital, in Sheffield, the team added.

“Without the helmet or if [the climber] had been hit more fully on the head, things could have been a whole lot different and serious,” they said. “The climber’s leg injury was dealt with and he was evacuated down to an ambulance on New Road. This type of behaviour is totally irresponsible and could have had potentially fatal consequences. Do not throw rocks over the edge of crags and cliffs.”

Derbyshire Police said officers were investigating and it appealed for any potential witnesses to come forward.

A bit of sunshine and the morons take to the hills for some moronic fun - regular climbers and walkers best beware … :scream:

I never visit these honey pots on weekends and bank holidays. I hope the rock throwers are found and prosecuted. Is this world turning into a bad place to live, or is it that we just didn’t hear about this stuff before.

I hope they all fall down the deepest pothole and rot there!

Probably related to the same morons who drop the rocks off motorway bridges too.

2 Likes

You took the words right out of my mouth Mups.

1 Like

And mine. Perhaps the little dears were “bored”.

1 Like