PC or laptop that is the question?

The original post was as the topic thread. So I went for a laptop as you all know.
I was talking to someone who ‘is in the know’, and he says that the sales of PC desktops have dropped and more people are going for laptops.
I am trying to think. What can you do on a desktop these days that you cannot do on a laptop?
Answers on a postage stamp? :lol:

I certainly would never want to photo-restore using a laptop, unless it had at least a 24 inch screen … and a mouse of course lol.

I could agree on that. But my desktop has a 15" screen and I have done photo restoring on that. This laptop has a 15.6" screen, but could it be done with the touch pad? I think it could. I might try in the future when I get my photo editing prog on.

Hmmmmmmmm … nah :wink:

Is that a challenge? :shock:

No :smiley:

Seen my website ?

Yes, just had a look. I have not done B&W to colour but I have done damaged ones. Time consuming but worth it in the end.

Yes … def time consuming especially if, like me, you are a stickler for detail.
I started off on Rootschat but not looked in there for some time now … they changed the format somewhat :confused:
Don’t know if you’ve seen their photo-restore board but it’s HUGE.

Apologies for diversion :wink:

A few advantages of Desktop computer could be:

Larger screen.
Better ventilation for hardware.
Room to get your hands inside and dust it out.
Room for extra internal hard disks.
Hardware can be upgraded or added to.

I reckon I could adapt to a laptop computer but think I’d need to plug a larger monitor into it. This would have to be stood on the desk I’m using at present and so I’d still be sitting in the comfy computer chair in the usual place in the house. I’ve got enough the space to set aside an area for this.

A laptop set up this way would give the option of disconnecting it from the monitor and sitting somewhere else but I probably wouldn’t do so very much.

We have got an iPad and a Hudl but I never use them. Just prefer to leave computing behind when leaving the ‘computer corner’.

that’s exactly what I’ve done via a SVGA cable (no HDMI socket on my laptop) so my 15.6 screen is now 22 inch screen

My continuing story.
I have now installed win 10 and it so far is OK.
I also received that device that was supposed to make it easy to transfer data from hard drives to my laptop. Not so. As although it will see cards, sticks, when plugged into the laptop. I does not see the hard drives. It turns out it is a cloning device where it can transfer data from IDE to SATA drives when plugged into the device.
I have also got a mouse with a USB cable that the laptop accepts.
Waiting for a case now that I have purchased. (eBay).

I have both…desktop EVERY time at home. Lappy’s are too prone to overheating,running out of charge,trying to find the cursor,small text and generally annoying me. Desktop,on t’other hand,is big,easy to type on,easy to clean inside,simple to increase sdd/hdd space on,simple to ventilate-and,I get to be in my ‘comms centre’,away from pooches/cats/wimminz/world in general. HOWEVER,to be fair to both,my lappy lives in the truck and is invaluable when I need to call up info at short notice regarding traffic hotspots/roadworks,et al…plus,it knocks the socks off any satnav due to the volume/screen size when sat on the engine cover. [it’s a Stratos…you can stand up and walk about in it…BIG cab]

But,my lappy has just been totally knackered by W10 downloading onto it,totally unbidden. I run Linux Mint on it-so where the W10 came from I honestly have no idea-but it’s totally buggered up my lappy…it’s now jammed solid on an opening screen that I neither expected nor requested.

Meh…it’s at this moment being repaired/restored to Linux.