PC or laptop that is the question?

Oooh, I like this tip. Thanks. :smiley:

Not wasted even though Windows 8.1 is being superseded. This menu and the way of opening it will be the same on Windows 10.

The new Asus spend time ā€˜loading updatesā€™ now for at least the last hour plus, it is, ā€˜Failure configuring Windows updates undoing changes. Do not turnoff your computerā€™
URRRRRRG.:027::021::071::089::069::088::026:

Hard to say what might have caused that but if the computer is too troublesome, run it back to the seller if not too far away.

Iā€™m not sure if Windows 10 will overwrite any problems you have when it comes along in about a weekā€™s time. It might do providing the present system doesnā€™t have to be up to date before the upgrade starts.

Thanks Mart. But it sorted itself out now, and I have the main screen.
I realise that I shall be doing searches for help on this windows 8.1. I expect by the time I have sused it, 10 will be next, and another learning curve.
I did get an invitation for 10 to load when it happens.

Last night I tried to reply to Emjayā€™s post about updating taking time. Second time lucky!

Emjayā€¦when I bought my Asus all in one PC a couple of months ago, I upgraded from 8 to 8.1. Along with the updates it must have taken the whole of an afternoon and evening before my computer was ready to use! It was all going on in my bedroom and I was back and forth all the time (fortunately on one level), checking the progress.

I now have my invite to reserve 10 (hadnā€™t before) and not sure whether to. Need to read more first.

Now thereā€™s a relief. :slight_smile: Regarding usage, anything you get the hang of in Windows 8.1 might be useful in Windows 10 because Windows 10 could be described as a way of better integrating Windows 7 and Windows 8. The tiles stay but the Desktop remains visible.

I am getting there. Just clicking on things and seeing what they do.
One thing I need to know is how do I get things such as this site saved on my home screen?
Sorry if going off topic.

What browser are you using E :slight_smile: it should have a ā€˜bookmarkā€™ or ā€˜favouritesā€™ option including adding them to the bar at the top of the screen .

If ever you get stuck with anything put the name of your browser into Google with your query and you should get a lot of responses.

I use Chrome so if I wanted to know about bookmarks I would type ā€˜Chrome Bookmarksā€™ into Google and this is one replyā€¦

This is a cracking design though I prefer the iMac with the built in screen ā€¦

2013 Mac Pro 6-Core (1 processor) Specs:
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Processor
16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC Memory
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each

Sounds impressive with regard to spec but when you consider the ā€˜oldā€™ server I bought recently there are 4 processors in it and each of them has 6 cores making 24 in all! There is also 128GB of ram in it. It came with 4 146GB SCSI 10,000 RPM hard drives and all for Ā£550.

Should have bought a server :wink: .

That is a nice design, but the price. :shock:

It may not be important to you but I think Iā€™d want to take advantage of the USB 3.0 speeds the new computer is capable of.

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]This version[/FONT][/SIZE] of the docking station sold by Amazon says itā€™s USB 3.0. Iā€™m not sure if this just means it reads USB devices at USB 3.0 speeds or if connects to the computer at the faster data transfer rate. That question could be asked of one of the other buyers (ā€˜Customer Questions & Answersā€™ heading).

If the connection from the device to the computer is USB 3.0, it might be worth consideration. True it would be a waste the Ā£16 already spent but Iā€™ve wasted much more money than that in my time. :slight_smile:

Now that is strange, as it looks like an identical item at twice the price from Amazon.
In the description it does say comparable to USB 3. ??
Banggood also do a cheaper version by a couple of Ā£ with a different cheaper looking power supply.
More research needed?

Yes, identical appearance but different inside Iā€™d say.

is this the same one Mart a lot cheaper if it is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-In-One-Docking-Station-DUAL-3-5-2-5-IDE-SATA-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-2-0USB-/191586505671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9b7213c7

Thanksā€¦ I am not a happy bunny.
I have bought loads of stuff from Banggood, when I saw that I ordered one last Sunday. Of course it comes from HK, and I expect it will take at least another week before I get it.
And I could have got it cheaper. Arrrrrg. :twisted:
As for the one from Amazon having different internals for USB3, somehow I canā€™t see that. A miss print maybe?
Mart.
You are right. I have done some searching, and the front of the Amazon one is different and has 2 USB 3 ports.

sorry about that Emjay but it would pay you to look on E-bay first, I find they are best on prices. :wink:

Yes I know and I do buy from eBay often.
But I just did not think that eBay were doing them. My wrong.

Yes, looks as if the company uses the same basic box for their whole range of docks.

If you look at an expanded rear view of the one on Amazon, The port says USB 3.0/2.0. This would likely be the port that connects to the computerā€™s USB 3.0 socket. USB 3.0 has a faster data transfer rate. The one on Ebay looks to be USB 2.0 only.

Iā€™d personally go for the one on Amazon, although EMjay could wait to see if the one that arrives from Banggood is satisfactory enough for requirements.

Edit: The Ā£24.99 one that says, ā€˜Supports 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch SATA and IDE hard drives.Compatible Operating Systems with Windows 2000/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4 or above.ā€™