Paying for the NHS

Annie what other countries are you referring too ?I spend a lot of time in Spain and to be honest I have not seen people taking Ukrainian people into their homes .This is not to say they don’t but I have not seen it . Most Spanish people live in tiny flats with little rooms for themselves .
So have you applied to take in a family or are you still waiting for an applicant to be approved ?If you have room say an annex it’s ok but generally it’s not a good idea having strangers in close quarters .
It doesn’t necessarily mean that people are uncaring .
If you mean asylum seekers ie the illegal immigrants coming in by boat if they are allowed to work let’s say crop picking they won’t like this a lot come from the ME and they consider this work demeaning soo are likely to abscond and disappear into the black economy we really don’t want that to happen .If you mean work as in care homes it’s a poor end to life if people are cared for by people who don t even speak their language .

Muddy I just gave that as an example of the culture change in the UK & don’t want to go too far off topic. In Spain I know from friends that far more people look after elderly family. Perhaps that’s changing but it’s certainly going the wrong way if it is. Didn’t they find a woman here who had been dead for two years in her flat/house recently?

Sorry I’ve gone off topic

IMO I don’t think taking refugees into your home is the way to go.
Not right for the host or the refugee.
There’s been many horror stories here in the UK on both sides…hosts and refugees.
Hosts unable to cope and turfing refugees out at a moments notice.
checks not carried out on hosts or accommodation
Hosts finding they’ve got undesirables not all refugees are pleasant people
and Vice a versa.
I don’t know what the answer is but it’s definitely not asking the public to take strangers into their homes.

1 Like

Back on topic
Unless you’re an emergency or willing to grow old waiting for a medical procedure, you have to pay.
Yes I’d be willing to pay the NHS if it meant timely treatment.

1 Like

Some Spanish do others don’t there are plenty of care homes in Spain too .
i think people found dead after a long time is not new . Some people live alone don’t have friends or relatives at some point they are going to die .

@Muddy, Aint we all ??

Well I intend to live long in order to become a pain in thearse to my daughter and grandkids, that will teach to keep me awake at nights when they were babies, :grinning:

3 Likes

the poms have always paid for the NHS - but in todays era 1. you still have bad govts who can’t run it well 2. technologies have change and got more expensive and probably haven’t been factored in and 3. the poms are always lookin for a cheap deal! nb: and there ain’t none anymore??