Parents urged to be alert for hepatitis signs after cases found in children in England and Scotland

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-04-07/parents-told-to-be-alert-for-hepatitis-signs-after-cases-in-england-and-scotland

Parents across England and Scotland have been warned to look out for signs of hepatitis after a small number of cases were detected in children.Around 60 cases of the inflammatory liver condition have been found in youngsters under 10 in England, and 11 cases in Scotland saw children sent to hospital.

Usually in Scotland, there are around eight cases like this a year.What are the symptoms of hepatitis for parents to look out for?

Symptoms of the condition, which include dark urine, itchy skin, muscle and joint pain, loss of appetite and a high temperature.

In Scotland, health bosses said the number of cases in such a short period of time, combined with the geographical spread and severity of illness, was “unusual”.
There are currently no clear causes for the cases, which have been detected in Lanarkshire, Tayside, Greater Glasgow and Clyde and Fife.
Public Health Scotland said there was currently no clear connection between the cases.

• I wonder if this is Covid related? I’m sure they would test for that, but it seems the cases of hepatitis are rising quickly.

Very worrying, Pixie!

Or vaccine related?

Well I would hope not! Its only children, no adults have it as yet it seems.

I hope not too Pixie.

Doubt it, Foxy.
I believe it said on the news to that the 60 sudden cases in England and 8 in Scotland, were all children under 5 yrs old. They would not have even had the vaccine - if it was the covid vaccine you were meaning?

1 Like