Pandora Papers: A simple guide

Pandora Papers: A simple guide to the Pandora Papers leak

"The Pandora Papers is a leak of almost 12 million documents that reveals hidden wealth, tax avoidance and, in some cases, money laundering by some of the world’s rich and powerful.

“More than 600 journalists in 117 countries have been trawling through the files from 14 sources for months, finding stories that are being published this week.”

Until reading the existing threads on OFC concerning the Pandora Papers and what is being revealed,
I had only briefly heard on news programmes about this. Not knowing in any real detail about previous revelations, then finding the BBC News item on the link below, I thought others may like to know more about this and what is involved.

1 Like

I don’t see why hidden wealth is the concern of anyone else but the people who have it. Its their business really.

As for tax avoidance, there is nothing wrong with that. Anyone paying more tax than they need to is a complete moron.

We have a thread on this?

Generally people do not really want to pay out Taxes.
Trouble is if we do not, the Country you live it will go bankrupt.
Happened in Spain just a few years ago, which was always a Country renown for under the table deals.
Many of there Politicians were part of the downfall and some ended up in Prison for there crimes.
So moan by all means about what you payout to the Pot… but to expect something for nothing, that is cuckoo land talk.

2 Likes

Under Politics Mr Fraggle in the search box…

We do, in fact two threads. Each relevant to a particular individual, which I why I started a new thread relevant to the subject of “Pandora Papers: A simple guide”.

:023: :023:

On the BBC’s News channel this morning there was an item about this. It’s the subject of tonight’s Panorama. It seems that only Panorama and The Guardian have been researching these documents so, we can conclude that most of the finger pointing will be towards the Tories even though Teflon Tony and Cherie Bliar are also involved in tax avoidance and possible money laundering schemes.

Certainly definite bias from the BBC and the Grauniad - the BBC’s news website made it headline news earlier, now it’s been updated to imply that a Russian business who made donations to the Tories is a fraudster.

A small section on Tony Bliar and his missus, who avoided a large tax payment on a property deal, seems to have disappeared.

“It came as eight more British politicians could be named in the Pandora Papers within hours after Tony Blair, a millionaire Tory donor and Jacob Rees-Mogg’s wife were exposed in the devastating leak laying bare the network of secret offshore companies protecting the wealth of more than 300 world leaders and billionaires.”

I know it’s the DM but even so it should be interesting to see who the eight more British Politicians are that could be named. I wonder which political party they will be from?

Is this more bbc panorama spam?

No idea, I just saw it as general information about a subject I had not seen much about before, so started a thread on this. It was as much for other members as it was for me. How many average people know what’s going on unless it’s more widely known about?
:thinking: :grinning:

Only joking mate. But you know what the beeb are like with their Monday pre Panorama sensations plug.

Well that’s it you see, I don’t get involved much in politics and have no idea about what the BBC are like in the respect you describe. Although I knew there are many ‘legal’ ways of avoiding tax and also that MPs are involved in this, I was actually mostly unaware of the extent to which this was happening. On seeing that there were three ‘Leaks’ before the Pandora Papers I thought it worth starting this thread.
:grinning:

Indeed.

Is it ?
Not when they are leaders of country’s where many of the inhabitants live in abject poverty .

There is nothing wrong with tax avoidance but when billiards get away with massive tax avoidance while the little people pay tax something is very very wrong .