Pakistan snow: Deadly January weather traps hundreds of drivers

As many as 1,000 vehicles became stranded as would-be tourists reportedly rushed to view the winter snowfall in the hilltop town of Murree. The military says it has rescued more than 300 people stranded by the snow and military engineers and troops had also started to clear roads leading to Murree.

Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid said the crisis had been caused by the number of people travelling to the area, north of the capital Islamabad. More than 100,000 cars had arrived in the colonial-era town in recent days, with social media in Pakistan flooded with pictures of people enjoying the snow.

But by Friday, local media reported that tourists were getting stranded. On Saturday, the heavy snow and increase in vehicles prompted authorities to declare the region a disaster zone.

Among those who perished were 10 children, according to emergency services. Police said at least six had frozen to death in their cars. Asphyxiation after inhaling fumes has been given as a possible reason for the others.

Murree was built by the British in the 19th century as a medical base for its colonial troops and is 2,300 metres (7,500 feet) above sea level.

So sad … but inevitable when tourists flock to “extreme” zones … :090:

Won’t they be local ie Pakistani tourists ?

I don’t know about “local”:

According to the population census of 2017 Murree has a population of 25, 816.

Wiki says:

Many tourists visit the town from the Islamabad-Rawalpindi area.

It’s a 70km, 2-hour, drive.

Oops … apologies required … :anguished:

If I’d looked closer then I would have seen that the date of the incident was image

I was looking for an update on what I thought was current and discovered later news:

National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) - their historical inaction was to blame for the chaos, following snowfall, which led to the deaths of 23 tourists.