Painters And Decorators Deserve A Medal!

Yes that but it depends on the quality of the plaster … having recently helped renovate a cottage dating back to the 1600s and living in a property dated around 1720 I can tell you there is always lots of preparation.

Realspeed, l have a long handled brush in my garage, that my late mother made.
I think l might give the ceiling a miss, it looks ok! :slight_smile:

Thankfully, I survived the trip! :lol:

Summer, The plaster is fine as the house was built in 1994.
I can imagine what a big task it is in an older place. Any ghosts on hand to help? :lol:

I didnt think so Art until recently when one sat on my bed… honest it did :frowning: I mentioned it on the ghosts thread. Only happened once though…so I think it decided to leave :confused:

Good Grief… and l was only joking!

That is really spooky…

Art, part of my job includes painting the rooms as they become vacant, I really enjoy it, perhaps because I’m not usually disturbed and have my earphones in listening to the radio, recently one of the rooms in the older part of the home was vacated as the lady passed, it possibly Victorian, anyway,it is a big room with high ceilings and wallpapered, so yesterday I started stripping off the paper, which came off surprisingly easily, or rather the first layer did, the other two , well, I’ll have to take my steam stripper on Monday, I’ve done decorating fo4 many years now, but at I’m doing it fairly regularly, I’m getting good at it, it helps that the care group use three colours, chalky downs,( a magnolia,) and a grey, and what I call snot green, normally I have to fill in the holes in the walls, caused by the beds, wheelchairs or hoist catching the walls, this room, however is going to need a lot of prep work, I’ll be doing it all next week…

Primus, :slight_smile: l am really pleased you are enjoying your new job.
The very thought of stripping walls and preparing the walls, fills me with dread.
All l did was brush the spider’s webs off the walls and painted.
That’s enough!

Oh yeah…the dreaded perparation before you can lift a brush or roller…
The stripping, cleaning, filling, sanding, more filling and more sanding… and more cleaning…
We renovated houses for a few years and I was chief stripper :wink: and decorator. I never liked using a roller, always got covered in paint freckles and also I found it used up a lot more paint than a brush. BTW, If you haven’t finished using the roller but have had enough for the day, just cover it in clingfilm, it will be fine to use again even after several days :023:

Loving all the banter in this thread :lol: Emusional! :lol:

Top tip,
Slightly dampen your roller before painting, helps to even out the paint,

Painters And Decorators Deserve A Medal!

Decorators are very modest people Arty, if they were awarded a medal they would wear it ‘Under coat’…

Good tip from Primus…
When I’m rolling emulsion I just add a little water into the tray with the paint and mix it in. Only a little bit though (half a cup full) the paint goes on easier and goes further…Some of the non drip paints are a bit too thick for rolling without the water.

Oh Glanny, :slight_smile: l wish l had seen your post before I washed the roller. It took me ages and gallons of water to get the paint out of it!

Primus, :slight_smile: With hindsight, l wish l had added some water.

Foxy, :slight_smile: ‘Undercoat’ …very apt!
As l said to Primus, l wish l had added some water as the paint was very thick. Being a novice, l didn’t dare in case it made it too slobbery and it dripped.

Trial and error Arty, it’s how most of us learn…We’ll make a painter out of you yet…:smiley:

I have a slight advantage, my dad was a painter and decorator,

Foxy, l thought as l was painting, yesterday, there must be more to life than moving your arm up and down at speed!
I found it hard work!
It really could do with another coat and the opposite wall needs painting too.
I find with jobs like that, l tend to put them off and do other jobs instead! Like today, l did lots in the garden instead!

Primus, You must have been born with the gene, then! :lol:

Actually art my dad was very talented, he once drew out a beautiful mural on our lounge wall, but something must have gone wrong as he just painted over it, my son is also a very good artist, ( he also has a degree in graphic design) , I can draw a little bit, but it must have skipped over me,

I threw my roller out the window when I got emulsion on my newly gloss painted woodwork. I didn’t need telling that I needed to learn to control Distemper.

:081::081::081: