Own Brand Ready Salted Potato Crisps X 6

Seabrooks are very nice crisps. Surprising they are only in poundland and asda. They are also gluten free.

Walkers salt n shake are, well…walkers.

I like Tyrrells too.

Although I do buy marks and spencer ready salted because they are also gluten free.

I remember trying the hedgehog flavoured crisps back in the early 80’s from a pub in South London.

I am shocked to hear that M&S crisps are no longer the best.

Seabrooks are my favourite too. But I buy them in Sainsburys.

Sainsbury’s sell them as well, Annie. They are good - I like the taste but find them a bit over salted.

Yes Artangel, bang on! Mr B says they’re fine, just as good as the pricier brand name ones.

Crazy price difference isn’t it? Especially when you think it’s entirely possible they’re made by the same company…

I thought all plain ready salted crisps were gluten free because all they contain are potato, salt and vegetable oil. It’s the flavoured ones that can contain some wheat flour according to the Coeliac people.

Burt’s are my favourite.

Longy, l thought you were joking (like you do!) so l googled them and they do exist!

I had never heard of them before but l see that they are available in selected Waitrose stores.

Would I joke Art? :wink:

You often find Burt’s crisps for sale in local coffee shops and sometimes garages too.

Depends how sensitive you are. I tend to stick to ones that say gluten free or if they are plain and I’ve tested them.

The production lines can be contaminated. The same is the case for various gluten free foods such as buckwheat and polenta. If you are very sensitive it ruins your day.

Salt and vinegar are generally a no-no for most brands. I’ve had trouble with walkers, kettle chips and some others that seem ok.

No one mentioned the Seabrook’s were Crinkle crisps! I don’t like ‘crinkle’ crisps!

I make my own since I found this recipe using the microwave do not eat often but like you found walkers were going downhill and own brand hit and miss I use a mandolin to slice the potato. I also turn halfway through.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I found that too greasy and use 1cal fry light)
1 washed potato, sliced paper thin (peeling is optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Pour the vegetable oil into a plastic sandwich or freezer bag. Add the potato slices, and toss to coat.
Coat a large dinner plate lightly with oil. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the dish. (I use a microwave bacon crisper as my plates are not microwave proof being bone china
Cook in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned (if not browned, they will not become crisp). Times will vary depending on the power of your microwave. Remove chips from plate, and toss with salt (or other seasonings). Let cool. Repeat process with the remaining potato slices. You will not need to keep oiling the plate.

My tip do not overlap times vary but they are well worth the effort.

My friend makes them with sweet potato. I just stick to plain old spuds with a couple of grinds of rock salt.

I tried this last year Kazz, it was pretty much a disaster. Perhaps it’s down to how good a microwave you have.

You could be right there you know my sister in law tried it and she found it a disaster. Don’t do it often however I do when the little ones were here less processed food

I stopped buying M&S crisps years ago because the pack of beef & onion I bought were made in Denmark!

Since my operation I can’t tolerate crisps any more … or crisps can’t tolerate me, depending upon your POV.
:blush:

What’s wrong with crinkle crisps?

They tend to be a bit greasier. Usually thicker cut.

Thank you, Annie, I had not realized that.:-D:-D

Kazz, Thank You for that, I might try making some today.