Overpopulation?

Ok here’s the Zambian doctor and her viewshttp://vorige.nrc.nl/international/article2172883.ece/Stop_giving_aid_to_Africa._Its_just_not_working

Well if we are talking about base instincts then I will fight for my ‘stuff’ and repel boarders. Sod the rest of the world as long as I can get a full belly and keep warm. So there you go, the reason there is so much ‘wrong’ done: we are just ruthless savages underneath it all.

That was really interesting, so if we phase it out and I am for that as it has never worked IMO then what happens ? the rich get poorer ? or the poor die ? she isn’t clear in her article which is most likely to happen.

I think you need to read her book?

No not buying a book if it can’t be explained clearly in the thread I don’t mind reading a linked article but I have no intention of spending money to find out what anyone is trying to discuss.

It’s not a new view and written in 2009 it is already somewhat out of date given the huge Chinese presence and volume of Chinese businesses now functioning in some African countries and the subsequent impact on the people, their infrastructure and their environment.

In the end it will be like every other place. Those that have an abundance of natural resources wanted by the world will have the opportunity to get richer if their governments act in an honest way. Those that don’t have the resources will struggle along at the bottom of the heap.

There are now many schemes that offer chances to small businesses in Africa to develop on the back of people in developed countries being prepared to offer loans without interest. It has also been found in small communities that women can grow business and finance while the men seem to lack the same acumen. These offer better opportunities for self help and eventual self sufficiency than the aid that never reaches the people it is designed to help.

Therein lies another way that poorer countries can be helped. Ensuring aid goes to the many not just the corrupt few at the top.

it has been estimated that there is enough food on the planet at present to feed 12 billion people - at present the world population is approx 6 billion - simple maths heh?

Just a case of sharing it out then, we see a shocking waste of food in the western world must learn to share it isn’t rocket science.

It’s not the amount, it’s the distribution. Even here in the UK - a very wealthy country by world standards, there are some people so poor that they have to use food banks, and some who work hard full-time but still have to rely on working tax credits to get by, while our parasitic managerial classes are paid obscenely huge salaries + bonuses for very little actual work.

While agreeing sadly I can’t imagine any of them voluntarily redistributing the wealth.

while our parasitic managerial classes are paid obscenely huge salaries + bonuses for very little actual work.

Looks like somebody has a chip on their shoulder, a big bucket of tar and a brush.

What you fail to understand Grumblewagon is there are some who can’t afford chips to eat let alone on their shoulder.

Hmm that or is one of those people :wink: Just joking GW I am convinced despite the bluster and leaping to the defence of the frankly indefensible you are likely to be one of the first to help others given a chance.

Certain people are eating more than their fair share. Now if the world ate only grains they wouldn’t want to eat more than their fair share :smiley: . Beans and bread…

breaks wind

No chip, just 50 years of experience in industry, commerce and public service.

Oh for goodness sake :wink: what about the ozone layer ???

What about it?

breaks wind

administers slap

“If you educate a man, you educate one person. If you educate a woman, you educate a nation”

It’s been demonstrated over and over that when you educate women the birth rate goes down. Simples