Oscar Pistorius freed on parole in South Africa

The 36-year-old had been seeking early release after serving half of his 13-year sentence.

Ms Steenkamp’s mother, who appeared before the parole board, said she opposed his release as she felt Pistorius was not remorseful.

The prison authorities said the matter would be considered again next year.

Good … :+1:

Let him rot … :man_shrugging:

That is good news, the case was a bit of a farce, in my opinion

And even when the verdict was changed to murder he only gets 13 years? Surely all murder sentences should be life?

If I was her mother I’d see to him myself, then I’d be the one doing life!

1 Like

Oscar Pistorius’s bid for parole collapsed in South Africa after it was revealed he had not yet served enough time to qualify for early release.

Earlier this week, the parole board had received, but ignored, a letter from South Africa’s top appeals court, which explained that Pistorius needed to spend another year and a half in prison before he could be considered for parole.

The hearing at Atteridgeville prison, a low-security facility in rolling fields just outside the city of Pretoria, should never have happened.

The confusion stems from the fact that Pistorius’s time in prison has been broken up by appeals and by a period of house arrest.

It was a confusing time indeed … Pistorius was trying to get away with murder … :angry:

And rightly bloody so,evil B.

The parole board has set his release for 5 January 2024.

Once released, Pistorius will be monitored by the authorities until his sentence officially expires “just like all other parolees”, the Department of Correctional Services said on Friday.

He will also have to attend therapy sessions, according to the Steenkamp family’s spokesman.

In a letter read out to the parole board during Friday’s hearing, Ms Steenkamp’s mother said she did not oppose his release but wondered whether Pistorius’s “huge anger issues” were truly dealt with in prison. She added that she would be “concerned for the safety of any woman” who now comes into contact with him.

I am in no position to know, of course, but I doubt that Pistorius has changed in any way and I agree with June’s opinion.

Paralympian Oscar Pistorius has been freed on parole from a South African jail, nearly 11 years after murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Officials confirmed Pistorius was “at home” on Friday morning, having served half of his more than 13-year sentence.

Until his sentence expires in 2029, he will live under strict rules - confining him to the home for certain hours of the day, as well as banning him from drinking alcohol. He is also not permitted to speak to the media.

In addition, Pistorius will be required to have therapy to help deal with issues around gender-based violence and anger.

He is believed to have gone to live at the home of his uncle Arnold Pistorius in an upmarket suburb of the capital, Pretoria.