Oradour sur Glane

Odadour sur Glane has been preserved.
… It was left in ruins, so the people deserted it after WW11. ended.
…Nearby they built another village.

2 Likes

Are there many other villages and towns which have been dealt with similarly?

1 Like

No I don’t know others Dex…not been there, as feel’s creepy… it has a weird feeling about it.

3 Likes

A while ago I came across some old Castles/Chateau’s that had been completely neglected and this fellow took it upon himself to get them restored…I must try and track those video’s down sometime…If you like architecture then I look at a lot of strange or different buildings around mainly France…

1 Like

"According to a survivor’s account, the SS men then began shooting, aiming for their legs. When victims were unable to move, the SS men covered them with fuel and set the barns on fire. Only six men managed to escape. One of them was later seen walking down a road and was shot dead. In all, 190 Frenchmen died.

The SS men next proceeded to the church and placed an incendiary device beside it. When it was ignited, women and children tried to escape through the doors and windows, only to be met with machine-gun fire. 247 women and 205 children died in the attack"

It would be impossible to forget and forgive anyone after that.

2 Likes

Guess that is why it stayed that way…
but I still cant get my head around Wars…never could see how it ever solved anything.’

2 Likes

I have been to Oradour there is a deathly silence about it .
Old burnt out cars and household items still lie among the ruins exactly as the Germans left it .
You approach the village by tunnel so it has been completely preserved

The terrible massacre in the Church was recreated in another historic setting in the film The Patriot .

2 Likes

This is an interesting photo I picked up on one of my many searches …can I trace where it is…Nope but I have still kept it…

built into a Mountain…

1 Like

Yes you can feel that when looking at the many Photos…
When you think how some of the French bowed down to the Germans for just an easy life really…Vichy do you know of it…

1 Like

My old man was in the Med on a French ship going to India during the war when France capitulated, apparently they stood guard over the French crew in case they tried to surrender or sail for France.

It’s somewhere I’ve wanted to visit ever since I heard about it many years ago. I’m not sure about this, but wasn’t it found after the Germans committed these atrocities, that it was never this town that had been involved in the capture of the Nazi officer, that it was a different town altogether? So that all these poor people died and their town was destroyed as a result of an error :cry:

Terrible.

My (Polish) father saw one of his best friends being hung by the Germans in his local town square. The crime was that theblad had had an affair with one of the German officer’s wives.

1 Like

https://foreignpolicy.com/2014/06/05/the-massacre-at-oradour-sur-glanvee/
Bathsheba I have only ever read is was retribution…and a quote from that link…
‘‘It was one of the largest mass murders of French civilians during the German occupation, and an act of retribution against the townspeople for their perceived assistance to the French Resistance and the invading American forces’’.

they even crucified a baby…
It reminds me, one day I was going over to visit my daughters holiday home near L’isle of Jourdain and went into a supermarket there. I could not find fresh milk so a lady saw me searching and said could she assist me…we then had a chat, when she said where she was born she whispered it…Germany… in the quietest voice possible…
She was of an age that would remember the war 1st hand…

1 Like

OK… who has been let out of school early???

1 Like

How did that happen…?
I’ll have to flag it

1 Like

I’ll have to flag it

1 Like

Good god!!!

How did these people live with themselves? Absolute mystery to me!

2 Likes

Thats weird lol

1 Like

Are you getting ghost duplicates at times? If so, me too. It seems to clear itself up though

1 Like

Just saying Dex my post showed up like you posted it…
so then I tried to suss it out.
Have flagged it to see whats going on…
bet you done it… :joy:

1 Like