Operose Health: What I saw working undercover at a GP surgery

Operose Health has grown rapidly in recent years - it has spent millions buying GP practices. It now runs 70 surgeries with nearly 600,000 patients, making it the biggest GP provider to the NHS.

Across the UK, there is a shortage of GPs and general practice is under unprecedented pressure. Former Operose employees who spoke to Panorama - a dozen doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other staff - said they believed patient safety was being put at risk.

The other receptionists are telling me this practice “runs on locums”, meaning a lot of the GPs who work here are like freelancers - only working a shift here or there.
Staff in the central admin team say they’re sometimes being told to process complex medical documents. They tell me they’re concerned they’ll make mistakes, but that management tell them to hit their targets.

They tell me they skim-read, even if they don’t understand the information they are looking at. This team is the first point where these documents are read and, if something is missed, it could mean delaying or risking vital patient care.

Today a patient came in and complained that he was never able to see his named GP, who was also the GP director. As I began to explain that this doctor doesn’t come into the practice, that I had never seen him and that other staff had told me that he comes in rarely, I was swept away from the front desk.

• I know some of this is copied and pasted, but it needs to be read because its scary stuff! :scream:
1 Like

Surely this is illegal?
I assume that as this has been publicised, this practice and others like it should be investigated and probably closed down - and the medical staff running the show have their medical qualifications rescinded.

2 Likes

I was reading about this earlier today PK. It really is alarming, isn’t it?

GP practices were always privately run, owned by doctors and providing the service to the NHS. But in 2007 the then Labour administration changed the rules, enabling large businesses to buy up GP practices, “in an effort to drive competition and innovation”. And it feels as if they’ve all been going downhill ever since. Health services should never, ever, put profit ahead of patient safety, but that’s what seems to be happening more and more. This Panorama exposĂ© is truly frightening.

3 Likes

@PixieKnuckles Bloody hell Pixie, l knew something was up !!
Let’s hope panorama can follow this up because it sounds like the
NHS is being taken over by a corporation to me ??
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::frowning::-1:

2 Likes

Appalling 
 :scream:

Presumably it was the dreadful Blair’s policy 
 :angry:

1 Like

Is anybody really surprised at this?
It has been happening slowly over the last 20 years, but when Covid arrived they realized that our NHS was offering too many services that it couldn’t afford. Our generation got the best of the NHS, but if we don’t stop seeing the doctor for minor health problems I believe that the NHS will disappear, or we will have to pay considerably more for it.
If people with money discover they can get better care via private health care, they will pay and all good doctors will earn more. That means that the NHS will be run by very busy doctors & nurses who dont have the time to care !
Why do you think we are being persuaded to eat healthier foods & exercise more?
We all want an easier life but some of the health problems are caused by eating too much & doing too little! :grimacing:

1 Like

No, I am not. I changed GPs about ten years ago: a brand spanking new health centre opened close to home. It’s run by some anonymous group based in the midlands. I don’t have a GP (by name), the place is run my locums. GRRR

I can’t bear to watch Panorama 
 its sensational, tabloid reporting style. GRRR

My bold. We mustn’t forget that the NHS now has a vast army of bureaucrats which they didn’t in the old days. That is where much of the money goes, so I don’t accept that they ‘can’t afford some services’. Replace many of the paper shufflers with medical and paramedical staff and they’ll be able to provide more essential services.

I do agree about those patients who bother the surgeries with minor health problems. I have seen that myself and still see people queueing up at the chemist for such things as headache tablets which can be bought more cheaply over the counter anyway.

@JBR , Yeah you are right JB, too many bean counters and not enough
bean pickers !!
I am not surprised either, but what panorama has reported seems to be
at another level now, and is happening at a faster rate than the previous
slow creep of decline we experienced ??
I disagree with dOOd’y about panorama because things like this need
highlighting , otherwise we will be dispossessed of everything we have
fought for over the years if left too long , just look at the migrant crisis ??
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Absolutely disgusting that :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: privatising the NHS sneakily and encouraging a US company to exploit the NHS

Centene own Operose and had to pay out billions in the US to settle accusations that they exploited the poorest in the US by overcharging Medicaid.

Sounds like just what need here, doesn’t it? :rage:

You can see if any of the practices taken over are near you here

https://weownit.org.uk/blog/here-are-gp-practices-taken-over-us-health-insurance-giant-centene

This all got started by 2012 Health and Social Care Act

And of course Johnson and the Tories love the idea of letting the profiteers get their hands on our NHS.

And Johnson even appointed the ex chief executive of Operose to be chief operating officer and permanent secretary for Downing Street to help to establish a new Office of the Prime Minister in February

Wherever something stinks, he’s there

1 Like

@Maree, Thanks for the info Maree, looks like they are concentrating on
London, where there are most fish to be caught in their net ??
Luckily my area seems to be less profitable so we are clear for the moment !
Not that you would notice though !
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That link to Operose has the stench of corruption and cronyism emanating from every possible orifice 
 :nose:

2 Likes

Yeah cos the NHS is absolutely brilliant isn’t it. 14,000 legal cases of malpractice against it at all that.

Let’s bang some pots and pans

2 Likes

I went to get bloods taken today for a routine check, and apparently there are “hubs” being set up all across the towns and cities who can do “minor treatments”. This includes taking blood, womens health checks, mens health checks, giving out prescriptions, issuing antibiotics, etc, etc. Kind of like
a bit more involved than Minor Ailments at the chemist, but not like visiting your GP.

I was told by a health professional (nurse) that this “takes the pressure off GP’s and allows them to concentrate on major issues” They also said it was going to get worse
and when I asked in what way, the conversation was moved onto something else.

Like what major issues I wonder? Most of the doctors at my practice are off “sick” and its locums doing the work, and at A & E you need to make an appointment before attending with your broken leg or whatever emergency you might have. An appointment for A&E
I never thought I would see the day this sort of thing happened. :frowning_face:

I can’t believe that. Ridiculous. If I needed to go to A&E for something like that, I’d just go. What are they going to do? Lock the doors and tell me to go home?
If so, I’d sit on the ground outside and apprise the local newspaper or TV station of my plight!

1 Like

@ JBR,. You might be unconscious ??
I have heard what Pixie said about A&E too !!
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

2 Likes

You can turn up randomly if you are having a heart attack or a stroke, but that’s about the limit of the emergency. Otherwise please make an appointment via NHS24. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

What about if you’re having difficulty in breathing?
How about if you have fallen unconscious?
Is it not possible to call 999 and ask for an ambulance these days?

How about if you are in prison. Will they send you to A&E if you are in any of the above situations?
What if you are an illegal immigrant?

1 Like

Oh I have no idea what the protocol is in these situations, JB
I just think the whole thing is ridiculous. :woman_shrugging: I’m reading in my news feed now that chemists are now going to be able to do cancer referrals (paywall so I can’t link). So for all this extra work put onto pharmacies, are they going to want more pay? I think so
and if they don’t get it, what happens then?

1 Like

Yes, I have read reports of that as well.
At the same time, we only seem to have part time GPs, who don’t actually see patients but may, if you’re lucky, speak to you on the telephone (probably working from home).

It occurs to me that perhaps we no longer need a GP service at all. If you’re ill, go to hospital. That, of course, assumes that you will be allowed to enter!

1 Like