Opening loft hatch will help your house cool down

But we haven’t got a loft!

Oh dear!

1 Like

@Cinderella - that linky just brings up a notice saying “page not found” !

I couldn’t open the link but I don’t see how opening the loft hatch would work.

When it’s hot and sunny, the sun is beating down on the roof of my house and the temperature in my loft gets much, much higher than the temperature in my house.
I have thin roofing felt under the roof tiles and thick insulation above the house ceiling, so the loft space gets hotter than the house in Summer and colder than the house in Winter.
If I open my loft hatch, I get a blast of hot air - it’s like a sauna up there!
I know hot air rises but I’m not sure that opening the hatch to the stifling heat in my loft would help to cool my living space.

5 Likes

Funny you should say this about lofts being hot, because I opened the hatch yesterday to get another electric fan I had stored up there, and the heat really hit me.
I am only in a bungalow, but it was like sticking your head in the oven door, so probably a good idea to let that out.

Mine too Mups my loft is like the oven ( it’s like the artic in winter )

1 Like

This link may help you, Tabby ……

1 Like

We’ve been doing this for several years and it does Work.

2 Likes

Should you open your loft hatch in hot weather?

NO!! With the loft hatch open, any small fire starting below will be subjected to the suction effect caused by the open hatch and before you know it a full blaze will have a hold.

1 Like

With all the junk in my loft it will be ablaze in a minute .
Got to get rid of stuff.

2 Likes

A lot of people just don’t have loft hatch windows so this is not a good idea. Sorry Cinders…:frowning: