‘One rule for them’: newspapers savage Boris Johnson over party scandal

Hopefully, there will be no escape for BJ this time … :023:

While most DWP staff worked from home throughout the pandemic, a “core team” of her private office staff - who have desks in a small area outside her office door - continued to work from the departmental HQ, close to Westminster Abbey.

The Mirror has been told ‘gatherings’ in Ms Coffey’s office throughout the pandemic were an open secret, with one source saying “even during lockdown, there were parties all the time.”

Bottles of wine and beer were routinely found between staff members’ salads and sandwiches in fridges at the department, to be drunk at the informal, late-night soirees.

While the parties were not ‘organised’, staff meetings would often “evolve” into drinking, which would carry on until the early hours of the morning.

Before the pandemic, Ms Coffey was reportedly the host of notorious late night “karaoke sessions” in the Houses of Parliament, which would regularly take place in her Commons office.

The DWP told the Sunday Mirror there was “no karaoke” at the gatherings during the pandemic, but did not deny that late night drinking and mingling took place.

It’s becoming likely that, along with the cocaine traces found throughout the House of Commons, there must be alcohol-stained desks and alcohol-soaked carpets throughout Whitehall and Westminster … :champagne: :beer: :beers: :wine_glass: :tumbler_glass: :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Bet it stinks like an old forgotten pub down a back alley :joy:

1 Like

:081:

1 Like

Was this part addressed to me, like your previous reply, Lindy?
If so, I am not even slightly interested in getting into a political argument, but would like to say, for your information, I DO live alone, and DON’T have nearby family who pop in, and DID spend last Christmas alone - and probably will this one as well.
So yes, I have experienced that, thank you.

No - it wasn’t. It was addressed to all the contributors on this thread.

I haven’t got enough interest to understand all the confusing ins and outs of this elaborate forum, so when I want to contribute to a thread I hit reply to last post…probably not the correct thing to do…nothing so bad as to get your knickers in a twist!

1 Like

That’s ok. It just it seemed to be a sort of P.S. to your previous post so I wondered if you were still talking to me, that’s all, hence my reply to your remark about being on your own.

BTW, I can assure you me knickers aren’t twisted either. :grinning:

1 Like

Whilst all of this faff about parties and Secret Santas is going on the country is in a real mess: illegal migration, gas price rises, shortage of lorry drivers, nurses, care home staff etc. the rise in Covid cases - and the list goes on.

What it demonstrates to me is how weak an Opposition we have when all Starmer seemed interested in at PMQs last week was the parties! I would imagine that the majority of folks in this country, although being annoyed about the alleged parties, are more concerned with the other problems I have mentioned.

Someone needs to get a grip!

5 Likes

Well, it should be BJ … but he’s a prevaricating procrastinator … :man_shrugging:

… and it’s the Opposition allowing him to get away with it!

1 Like

Indeed not - it’s his own party - the Tories have the majority in the HoC.

… but some members are revolting:

1 Like

Yes there are quite a few articles along those lines in the Telegraph too. My point is that if we had a viable Opposition then that would galvanize Tory backbenchers into action because they would be concerned about losing their seats at the next election.

We’re in for an interesting few weeks I think.

MSM are remainers. This is their chance to screw Brexit again.

I surprised that anyone on an over50’s forum is still being deluded by any politician.

2 Likes

In yet another revelation from the Daily Mirror, senior civil servants were said to be “boozing and dancing” in the building on 16 December 2020.

The department confirmed the report, saying it was “inappropriate” and an “error of judgment” by staff.

A spokesman for Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said he had “absolutely no idea” about the event.

A source added Mr Shapps was “deeply unhappy” about the behaviour, adding he was in his constituency in Hertfordshire on the day of the gathering.

Party on … :partying_face:

The man heading an investigation into lockdown parties at Downing Street invited staff to a “Christmas party” in his office last year.

Top civil servant Simon Case is due to report shortly on claims Covid rules were broken at events for staff in the run up to last Christmas.

But the BBC has been told that Mr Case’s position as chair of the inquiry is now under consideration.

The Cabinet Office has been asked to comment.

The BBC understands a quiz was held for members of Mr Case’s private office on 17 December 2020, and invites were sent out titled “Christmas Party!”

About 15 people were invited to the gathering at 70 Whitehall, near Downing Street, although it is understood not everyone turned up.

The BBC has been told that while Mr Case did not take part in the Christmas quiz, he was present for the event.

Another BJ appointee is complicit in COVID rule-breaking … :roll_eyes:

Party on … :partying_face:

Top civil servant Simon Case quits No 10 party probe amid rule breach claims

No 10 said the probe would be concluded by senior civil servant Sue Gray.

Some party, some probe … :roll_eyes:

I would like to suggest that everyone on this forum, sends a Christmas Card to Boris at No. 10 saying thanks very much for the party invite, but they won’t be able to attend this year.

Wasn’t there a fake party organised over facebook, and sent everyone into a panic? The police were aware of it and were on standby or something? :joy:

Watching HIGNFY on BBC1 tonight, there was a claim that there was a party involving some Tories that took place way back in May last year (2019), during the initial and perhaps even more stringent initial lockdown.

Don’t suppose anyone has any idea what they were referring to?