On the bus, a whole new world!

I live quite near a seaside town so I’ve been using my bus pass to go there and I time when the tide will be in.

I have a nice stroll along the beach, sometimes a bit of a paddle, and I take a flask of coffee and a bun or cake and enjoy it watching the waves roll in, then bus home. It a nice way to spend a couple of hours and it’s free!

Ha ha I thought the same .

We use the bus often (today even). Sometimes talk to others but not often. Almost everyone. thanks the driver when getting off the bus.

1 Like

The best I can do from where I live is to get a bus to Greenwich, walk through the park and along by the Thames. There is also a foot tunnel under the Thames and you can get a good view of the old Royal Naval College building and Cutty Sark from that side of the river. I wouldn’t like to paddle though!

I find it is best to avoid returning when the schools come out as they all pile onto the single decker bus. The driver often refuses to move if there is too much noise from the kids or the entrance door is not clear.

1 Like

Oh stop, you’re making me homesick, I love that part of London. Dad used to take us on Sundays sometimes and my brother and I liked going through the tunnel and waving to each other from opposite sides of the river

And they would help someone’s garden.

1 Like

I’ve done that walk through the tunnel. Also the view from the Observatory is sublime!!

1 Like

Like this.

2 Likes

2 Likes

These were taken pre Holly days, so a good 6-7 years ago. Even more high rise buildings have sprung up now at Docklands and the City.

August 2017.

1 Like

It’s funny you should say that because I went up there a few years ago and I was amazed at how much the view had changed since my childhood

love my bus/tube pass, recently went Shebu to City (Central Line), Docklands Light Railway to Canary Wharf, walked under the Thames to the Cutty Sark. And back in no time, free of charged. And Crossrail is amazing and so fast.

We do have one bus stop in my village and rumour has it that there is an occasional bus service to town but there’s no timetable at the bus stop and I’ve never seen anyone standing at the bus stop.
I usually walk into town unless I am planning to buy something heavy or bulky and need the car to bring it home. On all my walks and drives into town, I’ve never yet seen a bus on the route from my village into town.

Although I’ve never used my bus pass for local travel, I have used it quite a few times in other parts of the country.
I’ve had some interesting journeys travelling to and from unfamiliar places where we’ve had to leave our canal boat moored up if we’ve had to return home in a hurry for something or when one of us has to go to a nearby town to find something we need.
I find that people tend to chat to me more if I’m travelling alone and most of the folk I chat to are happy to share some useful information to help me on my travels - and they often throw in a bit of local history and their own life story too.
I’ve always enjoyed chatting to the folk I meet on my travels and have had lots of interesting chats, whether I’m travelling by bus, train or along the canal.

Our bus stop is 2 minutes walk away. The bus goes right into the hospital grounds, which is handy sometimes because I’d never take a car there unless there was some sort of emergency. The parking isn’t good. From the hospital it goes into the town centre, so that’s another advantage of using the service.

We have to get on the bus with a power wheelchair (approved by the bus company) and if there are shopping trolleys or prams/pushchairs on board too, then getting on and off can be a bit of a trial. The skill at reversing the chair into the designated space is often admired by other passengers.

All in all though, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and we prefer to use the bus service when possible.

1 Like

Didn’t anyone ever feel car sick on buses as a child? That vibration from the engine, the smells, the juddering stop/start.

Hi

I never use the bus, only taxis.

The Bus Stop is too far to walk.

Only yesterday was I wondering why the coach builders don’t try and take a few rattles and bangs out of the bodywork. I’m sure a bit of rubber moulding here or a bit of foam there would quieten the journey down no end.

1 Like

They did and they called it a train :slight_smile:

I overtook a bus yesterday

1 Like

In accordance with the sign on the back, I let a bus “pull out” after a long line of traffic refused to do so, it gave me a warm feeling inside to think that I had given the 25 or so passengers on board an extra couple of minutes of liberty at their destination.

2 Likes