Olympics and advertising

So there I was…beer and chips settling in for an afternoon of watching the Olympics. Instead what did I get? Advertising. Two minutes of the Olympics. Five minutes of advertising. Repeat. And when they split the screen, the advert was larger than the sport supposedly being showcased.

Really put me off so I only managed about thirty minutes and gave up. I end up watching snippets from various news sites.

Enormously frustrating.

3 Likes

I am pleased to report I have seen zero minutes of advertising during the Olympics, possibly because I have watched zero minutes of the Olympics.

My entire 2024 Olympic experience has been during the ABC News reports - no advertising there.

1 Like

I’ve watched tons of this year’s Olympics. It had been excellent. I’ve watched all via the BBC’s online app, iPlayer. The joy of a well run public broadcast service is that there are no ads, none. Plus, using the app means you can watch the sports that you want to watch rather being reliant on what the TV channel is showing at that time. Not an ad in sight.
So far the gymnastics and rowing have been great but surprises such as BMX have been astonishingly good.

4 Likes

I prefer the off button .

Although I don’t have a smart telly, I have to say the BBC coverage has been excellent.
The commentators Mark Foster, Beth Adlington, Claire Balding, Gaby Logan, Hazel Ervine etc are just brilliant and so knowledgeable…Nobody does sport like the beeb… :+1:

2 Likes

Are you watching Irish tv. That’s exactly what it’s like here for me in Ireland. Way too many ads.

1 Like

Blimey - you and I are agreeing on something.
The opening ceremony has been slated by some. However I read that none of the commentators could prepare - there was no rehearsal to watch, the director of the event wanted it to unfold so told nobody what was going to take place, no info on the flag bearer for each country, they did not even announce the athletes who would light the Olympic flame. Given all of that, and the rain, Andrew Cotter and Hazel Irvine did a great job.

1 Like

I’m in Canada and CBC has far too many ads. So I’ve taken to watching replays when I can. Oh well.

1 Like

Credit where credit’s due Lincs… :+1: