Old Technology...Abandoned Canal Relics

3 Likes

Fascinating.Although I would prefer them left as they are to be taken over by the flora and fauna and not restored but I’m not a canalist.

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed that video Furry animal.
Since mapping is involved I thought that I might recommend a terrific resource produced by The National Library of Scotland. Just Google side by side mapping and if you’ll be able to delve into history and see what was around before your house/street were even built. It’s a split screen system with a drop down menu on the left. Forum members who enjoy local history or are merely curious should really enjoy it.

3 Likes

The problem with not restoring the locks and basins is that the water drains away in parts of the abandoned and unused canal.
By restoring the canal network, it provides a continuous aquatic habitat and wildlife corridor for flora and fauna, connecting areas of wetlands and nature reserves.

I have travelled by narrowboat along some beautifully restored parts of the canal network and found a rich variety of vegetation and wildlife.
The Montgomery Canal is a marvellous example of a restored canal with wildlife conservation very much at the heart of it - if you love wildlife, travelling along there is truly magical.

3 Likes

Much appreciated @Boot @Furryanimal. Thanks to you both.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like
1 Like

These types of videos are always enjoyable. I find them particularly inspiring at this time of the season. Christmas is all but finished and I’m very much anticipating getting out and about in the new year :+1:

2 Likes