Old(er) people riding a self-driving taxi

I’ve never seen a self driving taxi. This one looked cool. Guy says at the end that this would be good for old people who have lost their licenses or even if they haven’t. (the video is in the linked post)

It did look pretty impressive to me. Has anyone seen one of these in action?

1 Like

Ooh, Amanda … :astonished:

:laughing:

1 Like

No thank you.I’m not that keen on being in a car when another human person is driving.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if people can sit in the driver’s seat to help them gain a sense of control.

That guy in the back looked terrified in the beginning too.

But sure, if people have their own vehicle, they might not need a taxi. But between a human person who is fallible and a self driving car, maybe people will choose the self driving car if it proves to be safe

2 Likes

Well, at 81 years old, there are worse ways of exiting this existence :grin:

I think it’s very clever and yes, brilliant for older people who can’t drive any more. That really is a big change in peoples lives and can lead to isolation

But would they trust them? I don’t think my mum would have got in one, or indeed wanted to pay for it. I could never convince her taxis were a necessity not a luxury and cheaper over the year than running a car

Will they cause accidents? Yes, inevitably something will go wrong eventually.

But I don’t expect they’ll cause accidents any more than regular cars driven by human beings, probably less. Human error more likely than computer error?

Especially if the driver is very elderly and probably should have given up driving

1 Like

It has to go more mainstream before people will trust it, but when people see all their friends are doing it, they will. Just not sure how far away that will be. Could be years and could be decades. Whenever I read about self driving cars, it always sounds so near and yet so far. There are demos like this but on the grand scale, there seems to be problems.

1 Like

Yes, they’d need time to get established for people to feel safe

They always remind me of Demolition Man

1 Like

Just off the top of my head I think that there was an Arnold Schwarzenegger film that touched on this subject, Tommy Cabs?

A very forgettable film

2 Likes

Not that I could find. Here a list of all of his movies. Can’t find the one you’re referring to. Was it after 2015? Did he make movies after that? I thought he was too busy being the Governor of California and all that.

I think you’re thinking of Total Recall and the Johnny Cabs?

I loved that film!

2 Likes

It was probably back during the 80’s.
A film that I rented on VHS with my girlfriend.
Apologies… the film wasn’t called Tommy Cabs, it’s just that there was a scene where Arnie got into a cab with an automaton driver.

A very forgetable film indeed.

Nice one. I would not have figured that out. Thanks. :+1:

Thank you Maree!!!
I can’t share your enthusiasm for the film … might have to give it a second chance :+1:

1 Like

Me too … :+1:

It may seem “clunky” by to day’s standards but, at the time, it was one of the most expensive films ever made, mainly because of the special-effects (NOT CGI) budget. It revived and made careers, especially Schwarzenegger and Stone, spawned spin-offs and redefined genres.

It’s movie that I still “dig out” every few years … :icon_cool:

1 Like

I’m almost convinced…not a bad price for the DVD on Amazon.

Probably cheaper than a ride in a Johnny Cab…and safer too.

1 Like