Octopus Energy UK reducing prices from October 1st 2023

Continuing the discussion from Octopus Energy UK - Notification of Price Increase 2023 - Energy Bill Support Scheme Ends:

Octopus have informed me:

• Ofgem have announced the new energy price cap from October 1. Once again, Octopus will set its prices below the cap
  • Octopus standing charges are already the cheapest of any large supplier. We will not raise them in October, and unit rates will be cut
  • Our new unit rates from October 1 are reducing by 8% on average

For me, this will result in:

Electricity (ÂŁ70.77 annual decrease)

Gas (ÂŁ149.42 annual decrease)

I’ll try not to get too ecstatic … :roll_eyes:

British Gas sent me an email a couple of days ago telling me the same Omah.
Big reductions on my annual energy bills. I just have to send in my meter readings today.
A bit of virtue signalling from Octopus I think…

1 Like

Thinking of moving to octopus. Do they force you to have a smart metre?

2 Likes

Only people with eight legs need apply Annie…
Octopus

1 Like

Not exactly force but:

No, you don’t have to have a smart meter installed.

We heartily recommend you do, though, as they’ll save you a lot of time and hassle, and can even help you use less energy and at cheaper times.

The standard meter you have in your home uses technology that’s decades old. With so much of our everyday lives reliant on energy, it makes sense to use the best technology to manage it.

And it’s becoming increasingly difficult to source standard meters. They’re slowly becoming obsolete as fewer manufacturers are making them, and fewer people want them.

If your standard meter breaks, it could be challenging (for any supplier) to find another standard meter to replace it.

ive been with Octopus for 2 year and never had anything mentioned about smart meters

1 Like

Our is going down by £44 per month for both gas and electricity, we don’t have a smart meter, octopus have never pressured us into getting one, if they did, I would refuse

2 Likes

Just read mine and submitted to Octopus before the clock strikes 12 !

1 Like

If you have the app SM’s are mentioned but I’ve not applied nor been pressured .

Omah where do these SM’s get placed?
My old supplier pestered me so much but when the workman came he would not touch it ( I presume to disconnect ? ) because a gas
pipe is blocking it in .

1 Like

Click the link for an explanation and a video of the process … :+1:

Bit like Brexit, I never expected any benefits with a smart meter, just meant I could organise my downstairs WC better, so, I certainly don’t use any less energy as a result of it but what it does do is allow you to record your usage in pounds shillings and pence so, if your supplier messes about with your charges you can spot it immediately, the spreadsheet will highlight it.

I just enjoy reading my meters and sending the numbers in. I also record all readings on my spreadsheet and pay my bill by card online, when it’s ready. It gives me something to do otherwise I will become obsolete…
Smartmeter…
Readings are sent automatically and the amount is direct debited from your account…If I lived alone I could lay dead for weeks before they realise that nobody is using energy at my address…
:worried:

Thanks but I’m not thinking of ordering one . Just want to know where the engineers position them .

1 Like

It’s in the link:

Your new smart meters will be installed in the same place as your old ones (and don’t worry, the engineer will take your old meters away with them)

:slightly_smiling_face:

I wouldn’t say I enjoy taking dual fuel meter readings but I get a reminder same date each month from Octopus to do so and and I obey .
Furthermore I took them last night and sent them in . 10 days since I last did . Billed this morning for ÂŁ38 .

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t read the link before replying to you .
So he would have the same thing facing him as SSE did . An electric meter fixed bahind a gas pipe making it impossible to remove . SSE engineer declared " I’m not touching that !" and was straight onto his phone .
Obviously electricity installed prior to gas ?

1 Like

I’ve dual fuel both smart metered with BG , no change of meter position all done in under a hour …painless :wink: I’ve since gone on to inherit smart meters after a house move …no problem.
No need to do meter readings
No estimated bills
Can recommend.
BG also reduced energy price today plus extending half price Sunday electric to the end of the year

1 Like

If you were dead you should not pay a “Standing!” Charge :laughing:

1 Like

Good point Spitty… :017: