Octopus Energy UK - Notification of Price Increase 2023 - Energy Bill Support Scheme Ends

Via Email:

Your fixed tariff is coming to an end on 28th February 2023. While it’s still a little way off, we thought you’d like to know more about what happens next.

Good to know: The Energy Price Guarantee

The Government has introduced an Energy Price Guarantee that caps variable energy prices at £2,500 for a typical home.

This represents a discount of around £1,000 for a typical home compared to the Ofgem price cap for October to December, and is in addition to the £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme that will reduce all monthly payments between October and March, and the further support already announced for low income or vulnerable households.

In light of these reductions, we’re not currently offering fixed price tariffs — they’re simply not a good choice right now.

Instead, the best option for you is to roll onto our Flexible Octopus tariff at the end of your fixed term. This will happen automatically: you don’t need to do anything.

Flexible Octopus is our always good value variable tariff. It has no fixed term, and prices rise and fall with wholesale costs, typically changing every 3 months.

Flexible Octopus prices are protected by the Government’s Energy Price Guarantee, and Flexible Octopus standing charges are discounted slightly compared to the Energy Price Guarantee rates.

Flexible Octopus

£303.30 Estimated monthly cost

Daily charge 41.62 p/day

Unit rate 33.33 p/kWh Daily charge 26.84 p/day

Unit rate 10.33 p/kWh

£3639.61 Estimate for the next 12 months

:scream:

2 Likes

Aaargh indeed.

Am still.waiting for the official switchover to Octopus from Bulb.

1 Like

Wowee Omah what you doing to get a monster super duper eye watering estimated energy bill :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Well, I don’t grow cannabis or run a sweatshop … before the “crisis” and ensuing price increases my bill was £110 pm … :man_shrugging:

Maybe you ought to consider it!!

1 Like

@Omah
I’m with Eon next who for some reason have started billing me every 11 days and have just charged me £93.00 for 11 days leccy, after charging me £92 on Dec 31st.

It’s a close run thing between them and your Octopus… I’m set for £300 a month for a one bedroom small flat with a small kitchenette, shower, no washer or immersion heater, with minimal storage heaters to keep at 60F

What do you live in Omah? A draughty castle without double glazing?

Needless to say tomorrow I shall be giving Eon a nasty tongue lashing.

1 Like

Mine was 50 quid … until my old defunct first generation smart meter was activated remotely.

1 Like

The government has confirmed that a new version of the Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) will be in place from April 2023 until April 2024. It will freeze energy bills for a household with an average or ‘typical’ energy use at £3,000 per year.

If ‘typical’ is £3,000 then I am not alone. Maybe some energy users are still on old contracts but most will have experienced similar shocking increases as myself.

1 Like

We’re not dissimilar in usage @Omah. Used to be £125pcm before all of this (with extensive use of a tumble drier, oh happy days!), so circa £1.5k pa. 3 bed semi, which is hardly unusual, so one wonders what their concept of “typical” is.

1 Like

According to Which, though admittedly based on 2022 … Octopus was the best.

Only one energy company impressed us enough to earn our prestigious Which? Recommended Provider award, wowing their customers with top-notch service and delivering against our stringent assessment criteria. This firm is Octopus Energy .

1 Like

I switched to Octopus in 2019 … after reading a Which recommendation.

1 Like

I just read that Which list … Eon Next is bottom at number 16.
Yup, as a customer, I’d agree with that.

1 Like

…and to think I was complaining that my electricity just went up from 22c/kWh to 25c/kWh (13p/kWh) and and from 8c to 11c/kWh (6p/kWh) off peak, your bill manages to make even my outrageous supply charge of 40p per day seem reasonable.

I don’t have gas connected, am not paying two supply charges to the thieving sods.

How can you live like that?

I’m with British Gas and have been for 25yrs + I did once think about changing to another provider but as I’ve had no problems …
My flat is 1600 sq ft ,with a very efficient new boiler .
My apartment has massively thick walls being once a government installation! really holds the heat, and no it’s not a prison!
I’ve recently upped the DD £125, the account is in credit .

It’s these Ofgem caps that seem to be the problem, no one really knows what the global cost of energy is at any given time but, everyone knows what the cap is so, it seems that the energy companies set their tariff at the cap, regardless if the wholesale price is less, who knows, it just seems that way.

Is it a Bunker? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Almost there are bunkers :+1:t2:

Oh shyte I’m with Octopus

Gosh, I am so relieved a took a chance and signed up for a 2 year fixed contract with Octopus which doesn’t end till July .

… and now the Energy Bills Support Scheme has ended … :astonished:

We’ve got to find an extra £70 a month … :090: