October 21st -A sad Anniversary

Two minutes silence in Wales at 11am

3 Likes

Such a terrible thing to happen and avoidable…
it was the first time I saw reporters cry on TV … :icon_sad:

2 Likes

A day I will never forget.

Those poor, poor people, those poor, poor children :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Definitely a day I won’t forget it occurred in the neighbouring valley to us on my 19th birthday…needless to say, there were no celebrations that birthday.

2 Likes

Likewise. A terrible disaster.

2 Likes

A friend of mine went to help and he told me he would never forget the horrors he saw. :anguished:

2 Likes

Yes, a day that I’ll never forget. Although I couldn’t have told anyone the date prior to your post Furryanimal…It happened where I live. Fortunately nobody was injured, just the main railway line from Doncaster to Hull/Grimsby was blocked for several weeks. Since then, the slag heap has been reduced and spread over a wider area. I bet the Aberfan disaster is still vivid in the thoughts of the parents who lost someone. God Bless…

2 Likes

News travelled slower in those days.
It was day before half term…even a day later…
I was 9 years old and in school that day here in South Wales and remember my exuberant teacher being a little subdued after morning break.
Of course I had no idea why.
I do remember seeing the live news the next morning as rescue efforts continued.
It was the first news story to have any effect on me.
And I’ve never forgotten the date.
Any surviving parents would be very old now and the kids who survived would be in their late fifties/sixties.

3 Likes

Awful.
Robens (NCB chairman)and Wilson (LABOUR PM)don’t come out of it looking good either.Some of the money raised by the public for the families was used to clear the tip.

2 Likes

We had four colleries in Kent, very vague memories but remember giving my 3d & 6d savings, about Twenty shillings.

1 Like