Obesity In America

Why is it so prevalent there?

Or am I Mistaken?

1 Like

Because they stuff their faces with cheap fast food and the portions are enormous.

3 Likes

yeah, when we went to Florida the pizza for one person portions were ridiculous, proper heart attack portions

I have watched documentaries, where they do this, some are even bed bound and probably wonā€™t live much longer, because of being morbidly obese.

I just donā€™t understand their mind setā€¦I really donā€™t.

I wonder at the quality of food in the USā€¦I mean, for people to suffer such chronic obesity, there must be something in their food which makes it fairly addictive? That, and the fact they drive everywhere, I suppose.

Have you watch many American TV programs as overeating is positively encourage even comedies like the King of Queens and Everyone Loves Raymond both shown on Channel 4 and have been for years have food as a significant part of the program.
Then you have the programs where blokes go round the country eating mega potions of food as if this is a normal thing to do.

I think most food can become addictive, where ever you live, I find it very hard not to over eat at times, I think itā€™s to do with ones mind set?

Food can also be a great comforter as wellā€¦

1 Like

Well yes, I agree that emotional eating is a very common thing (not with me though, I cannot eat a thing if Iā€™m upset), but in America they do like to think Bigger is Better, not Smaller is Healthier, so I really donā€™t knowā€¦:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Their education regarding food and eating healthy canā€™t be good then, if they believe that?

1 Like

I really couldnā€™t say how their healthy eating programme is over there. Did you ever watch a programme called Man - V - foodā€¦now that was an eye opener! :astonished:

1 Like

I havenā€™t watched that,Iā€™ve watched mothers feeding their bed ridden children fast food, knowing they are morbidly obese, that they could die of this condition and many have died, yet still they plough food into their mouthsā€¦it just doesnā€™t make sense to me.

Iā€™ve also watched that bariatric surgeon in America, for the life of me I canā€™t remember his nameā€¦some emergency services have even had to remove doors and windows to get these morbidly obese out of the house, and take them to hospitalā€¦some canā€™t even fit into a car.

1 Like

Oh I couldnā€™t watch anything like thatā€¦I know some men prefer larger women because they are ā€œfeedersā€ and enjoy (in some perverse way) the fact they are helping their women stay fat :frowning_face:

1 Like

Yes, there are TV programmes such as Man v Food and My 600 lb Life, but they are just the extreme part of the problem, as the general & overall weight & obesity & related problems of the population in the US has been increasing for decades, and the main reason for this has been the American Food Industry, especially Sugar

This industry is very influential in US politics and supresses any attempts at improvements in education, a wider range of food availability, and so on
Coupled with that was the development of HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is cheap, sweet sugar syrup and included in many manufactured foods

Together these have produced a diet of cheap junk food with a very high amount of sugar, carbohydrate & fat; and it has been around since the 1950s, ie it has been around for generations, and has become normal and accepted; and fresh healthy food is becoming more expensive and difficult to find for the average American

And itā€™s fairly obvious that this kind of food is aimed at people with neither the education to understand whatā€™s happening, nor the money to buy better food

Well, thatā€™s my understanding; if you want to find out more, Search YouTube for ā€˜why Americans are obeseā€™.

1 Like

I have just sent an immediate request to our Food and Drug Administration to consult with all Brits, as they have sensible opinions and top advice as to the eating habits of Americans.

They have sent a quick reply back, stating Brits are immediately too critical, too know-it-all and too quick to judge to be part of an impartial discussion on American food topics.

Sorryā€¦I tried.

4 Likes

As a comparisonā€¦

2 Likes

From what I read, America is called Fat land ,read up how they became the fattest country in the world, :open_mouth::open_mouth:ā€¦not being critical ,just stating what Iā€™ve read.

Iā€™m trying to understand why so many are morbidly obese, thatā€™s all.

Why do they eat so much?

When V and I went to Boston, New York and Washington DC on a 10 day holiday, we were astounded by the portion sizes. Each lunchtime, we visited a different sandwich shop and had fresh sandwiches made up for us and, at each shop, we had to ask the server to stop piling on the filling otherwise we would have been throwing most of it away uneaten. The looks we got! They thought we were crazy.

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand it Percy, why do they eat so much?

The percentage of obese people in America is really alarming.

I saw a television programme on obesity. comparing UK and US. Many were
very obese on both sides of the pond but most of the people we know, British and American, are just regular folks like us.

1 Like

Same here. Most people I know are regular sized.

Thereā€™s a lot of stereotyping. Here are some articles about the obesity in the UK for comparison. I would guess that any analyzing could go for both countries.

1 Like