Nuclear fusion plant to be built in Nottinghamshire!

Jacob Reece Moggs used the party conference to announce that a full sized
fusion plant would be built In Nottinghamshire in the next few years ??
Hope it’s better than the pebble bed reactor they sold to South Africa ??
:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

That really is pie in the sky

1 Like

They usually take a long time to build and they are not very flexible in terms of how fast they react in their to power demands.

@Bruce , Yeah, l reckon !! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Unrealistic timescale, beyond an existence. :icon_wink:

Has anybody made nuclear fusion work at any scale?

@Bruce , It’s a daily occurrence in UK Brucy, don’t know about ozzie tho ?

Well, we’re part way there. Confusion and things are unclear on a large scale.

Are you sure Assman? Controlled fusion is the Holy Grail of the nuclear industry, current reactors use fission to produce heat. Perhaps you are confusing the two?

Australia has one small nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights used purely to produce medical isotopes (as I understand it). We just sell uranium to you foreigners. Our main fusion reactor is the sun.

1 Like

I had to go to my Wiki bestie to find out what is nuclear fusion .
still unsure :roll_eyes:

I understand the Nottinghamshire site is a pre existing fossil fuel power station , it won’t be an extra blot on the landscape.
The U.K. certainly needs to increase its energy options.

The thought of gas shortages and possible rationing this winter is most worrying.

1 Like

All very exciting, assuming it can be upscaled, and can be built, on time and even vaguely on budget. Our current nuclear plants arent exactly a ringing endorsement of such projects following a smooth track to success.

Anyway, 2040 is a bit too far away to help us this winter!!

1 Like

Hi

I think it is all wishful thinking by JRM, he is not known for his scientific abilities.

The UK is nowhere near nuclear fusion, we have done it for less than a minute in a lab and had to use more electric to get it to work than we got out

2 Likes

Bruce,. Exactly that! You clever old thing !!:+1::grin::+1:

@Dextrous63 , My thoughts exactly Dex! Hence my reference to the
pebble bed reactor !
We need something for NOW !
Coal maybe ?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I have a deep dislike of the Mog! It would seem he has no gear and no idea on Nuclear Fusion

More hydropower and other low carbon renewables

1 Like

@Ripple , Low carbon renewables ??
:thinking::thinking:

I just happened to have ripped off Britain on BBC1 on in the background when a story came up, highlighting how householders and businesses who have had solar panels installed and who thus, on occasion, feed electricity back into the grid, haven’t had the amount they receive per kWh increased at all, despite energy companies charging everyone more due to the price cap increase.

@Dextrous63 , Bloody hell ! Questions need to be asked in
the house over this !!
Sauce for the goose is surely sauce for the gander ??
BTW, Is the house open ?? :-1::-1:

Hi Donkey

Wind & solar

1 Like

As one of the owners said…“we” don’t want to rip people off, but we just want a fair price.

After all, their own bills will have increased when they need to tap into the grid, and it seems unfair that this isn’t proproportionally mitigated.

1 Like