Now The Summer Is Over

I did experience a few “Indian summers” whilst I lived there - they were magical as I remember

1 Like

The House Martins that nest in the eaves of the local Co-op have reared their young.

1 Like

where do the swifts and the house martins go to? - this bird migration process is a fascinating thing heh - worthy almost of it’s own thread? [ not that I am suggesting that it shouldn’t continue here !]

I think most of them go to Africa for the Winter.
Swallows undertake an impressive 6000 mile migration between the UK and South Africa twice a year in search of food.

They nest in the UK in the summer, but as they only feed on aerial insects (the majority of which are large flies, such as horseflies and bluebottles), their food source starts to run out in the autumn.

Faced with the prospect of little or no food, they start to head south during September and October.

Taken from this…

The same goes for House Martins & Swifts, though different areas of Africa I think.

1 Like

thanks Tiffany - I am a lazy old soul and should have done that myself heh?

1 Like

Not forgetting the cuckoo’s which I have a thread about.

1 Like

Now that summer is over begs the question, did we actually have one in the UK? All I can remember were the few cloudless, hot and sunny days at the beginning of July. Since then the weather has been rather crap.

It wasn’t that good, no. Mostly rain at the weekends though.

oh I thought I remember seeing crowded beaches which was against the rules and then rubbish everywhere? but maybe that was just the few days you speak of. when was the last Indian summer you can remember?

My last Indian summer was in India in 1972

2 Likes

coincidence?

We seem to be having a mini Indian Summer now, 28c yesterday.

Summer has just started here, 3 days of continuous sunshine, bring it on I say!!..:full_moon_with_face::sun_with_face::full_moon_with_face::sun_with_face:

1 Like

:grinning: :grinning:

25c today & sunny. All change tomorrow by the look of the forecast though.

1 Like

33 degree high today…worked early and now mostly stationary tasks…
Had to email My Doctor over a new Secretary…did not like doing tha,t but needed to sort it…She does not speak any english which is a first in that Surgery. I did speak the simple words to her a while back in French…ok I dont have the Fench Accent but the words were clear…
Summer has been a weird one here as welll…Enjoyed all of it except my new seed idea failed miserablely…weather holds so many keys…073

A visit to my favorite Nursery revealed the Plants for sale were not long bedding ones…sign was, summer moving on now…
They have lots of new indoor gift items in as well…

3 Likes

I’m having a job exercising in this heat!!..it’s boiling!!.:sun_with_face::full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

I was out on my walk today and I saw my first snake of the summer. A Red Bellied Black sunning itself in some grass by the side of the road.

Flaming summer has just arrived here 30 degrees here

1 Like

Hey Bruce…Husband had a snake come up to him, crazy thing…kept wanting to go for him was about 40 cms. brown with maybe some yellow near the snakes open mouth…he was glad when he hooked him up with stick and threw him in our fenced off adjoining land. Do not believe it was a grass snake…

1 Like

Wow! That’s higher than here.