Now The Summer Is Over

A few to remind me of this Summer & any one else too.
Please add your own if you want to?

11 Likes

Lovely Tiff, yes, before we know it summer will become a distant memory, I will post some pics tomorrow it’s to dark here at the moment.

1 Like

Lovely Tiff! :grinning:

I took some of my garden recently with the tablet, if and when I get to download them onto my laptop, I will endeavour to post them But don’t hold your breath. I find it so tedious! :crazy_face:

Does any else go ‘bzzzzz’ in their head when they see a picture of a bee?

2 Likes

I think it isn’t yet. This from today:

1 Like
1 Like

just for old times sake can someone describe the feelings you have that tell you summer is over?

1 Like

Roses stop blooming, mine finished a week or so ago. Fungi on the grass. Birds are molting & not feeding so much. Their young are grown up. The Buddleia flowers have finished, butterflies nearly all gone, only a few flitting about. Air smells differently, colder & fresher.
Trees leaves are turning, they’ll soon drop & the conkers on the Horse Chestnut trees are huge.
That, Gumbud, is what makes me know Summer is over. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, the Pigface is in full bloom showing that it is spring.

1 Like

Ah shucks Tiff thanks for that - yea I guess it creeps up on ya slowly really - can’t remember the fungi on the grass but I remember mowing it enough: don’t even think I would have missed the butterflies but men don’t i guess? ; now the air smelling colder and fresher - just recall that - sorta chill in the air heh? tree leaves just remember that and yes we were always conker hunting. few misty morns perhaps too heh or was that later?? - thanks again -wish ya could packet it!

1 Like

depends which seaboard ya on?

1 Like

Forgot you live in Australia, Gumbud. Guess your changes from Summer to Autumn are different to ours.

1 Like

slighty - upside down I think and the Indigenous folk around these parts have 6-8 seasons - all linked with nature - they are very sensitive observers of their surroundings!

2 Likes

Swifts have gone back to Africa, Swallows , the few that seem to be around these days are gathering ready to journey, daddy long legs start emerging,

2 Likes

I did experience a few “Indian summers” whilst I lived there - they were magical as I remember

1 Like

The House Martins that nest in the eaves of the local Co-op have reared their young.

1 Like

where do the swifts and the house martins go to? - this bird migration process is a fascinating thing heh - worthy almost of it’s own thread? [ not that I am suggesting that it shouldn’t continue here !]

I think most of them go to Africa for the Winter.
Swallows undertake an impressive 6000 mile migration between the UK and South Africa twice a year in search of food.

They nest in the UK in the summer, but as they only feed on aerial insects (the majority of which are large flies, such as horseflies and bluebottles), their food source starts to run out in the autumn.

Faced with the prospect of little or no food, they start to head south during September and October.

Taken from this

The same goes for House Martins & Swifts, though different areas of Africa I think.

1 Like

thanks Tiffany - I am a lazy old soul and should have done that myself heh?

1 Like

Not forgetting the cuckoo’s which I have a thread about.

1 Like

Now that summer is over begs the question, did we actually have one in the UK? All I can remember were the few cloudless, hot and sunny days at the beginning of July. Since then the weather has been rather crap.