Now streaming on My 5 - Prisoner: Cell Block H - 10-episode taster from the original series

My 5 - Prisoner: Cell Block H

Iconic Australian drama series set in Wentworth Detention Centre

Cult Australian jailbird drama Prisoner: Cell Block H has joined the My5 streaming service from Channel 5.

The soap has previously aired on Channel 5, as one of its launch shows in 1997. The series previously aired on ITV in the late 1980s and 90s. My5 has added the first ten episodes of the soap to stream, with further editions to be added in the future, should the current batch prove popular with viewers.

Prisoner: Cell Block H, created by Reg Watson (Crossroads, Neighbours, The Young Doctors), was his take on British drama series Within These Walls (LWT) and launched on Network 10 Australia in 1979. The series followed the inmates of ‘Block H’ of Wentworth Detention Centre and make household names of its cast both down under and in the UK when ITV began screening the series in the late 1980s – after the show had ended production some years earlier. The lives of the women in detention, and the officers who worked the cell block, ran for almost 700 episodes.

IIRC, PCBH was originally aired in the UK as a late-night offering, which admirably suited those returning from the pub, who could forgive the wobbly sets, dreadful acting and contrived plots - I rarely missed an episode of the early series but lost interest as the original cast members were replaced.

The show’s themes, often radical, included feminism, LGBT matters, and social reform. Prisoner began in early 1979 with the advertising slogan, “If you think prison is hell for a man, imagine what it’s like for a woman”. The series examined how women dealt with incarceration and separation from their families and friends, and the common phenomenon of released inmates re-offending. Within the prison, major themes were interpersonal relationships, power struggles, friendships and rivalries. The prisoners became a surrogate family, with the self-styled “Queen Bea”, Bea Smith and the elderly “Mum” (Jeanette) Brooks (Mary Ward) emerging as central matriarch figures. Several lesbian characters were introduced on the show, including prisoners Franky Doyle (played by Carol Burns) and Judy Bryant (played by Betty Bobbitt), as well as corrupt and sinister officer Joan Ferguson (Maggie Kirkpatrick).

Early episodes featured a high level of violence (1): Lynn Warner’s burning in a steam press; a prisoner hanging herself in her cell; a fatal stabbing; and a flashback sequence triggered by the time Karen Travers stabbed her abusive husband to death in the shower. The series’ first major story arc was the turf war between Bea and Franky, in a bid to become the prison’s “Top Dog” (unofficial leader), culminating by episode 3 in a riot where Meg was held hostage and her husband—prison social worker Bill Jackson (Don Barker)—was stabbed to death by inmate Chrissie Latham (Amanda Muggleton).

(1) Much of the violence was cut in the UK.

I might try a viewing … or I might not … :thinking:

I used to think the lovely Peta Toppano was a rose amongst the thorns:

but now I know that, in “real life”, she looked like this:

:heart_eyes:

She looks like she might be holding a whip though.

1 Like

I wish … :079:

1 Like

I used to be addicted to that series when it was first shown!

1 Like

I watched the first episode last night and it was embarrassingly bad - just like I remembered it … :009:

Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it … :icon_eek:

Synopsis

Karen Travers, Lynn Warner and Bea Smith go about their daily lives while prison bars are superimposed on them.

At Wentworth Detention Centre Sally Lee runs down the corridor, off her head on drugs. She is chased by Meg Jackson and Vera Bennett, but Sally is stopped by inmate Franky Doyle who utters the first line of the series “she bumped into me”. Vera and Meg lock Sally back in her single cell.

In a paddy wagon on the way to Wentworth, Lynne, in tears tries to talk to Karen, who has her own problems. Upon arrival, the two prisoners are inducted by Vera. Step on the white line, put any personal belongings on the table, and answer the following questions! Karen answers accepting her fate, but Lynn keeps pleading her innocence. They are both put through the usual routine. Upon stripping, Karen has the officers concerned with cigarette burns on her back. During the regulation shower, Karen freaks out and flashes back to her husbands murder. Karen is later taken to see Doctor Greg Miller, who has a past with Karen.

Lynn is put to work in the laundry where Bea Smith recognises her name and her crime - attempted murder of an infant - and threatens her. Karen is taken to her new cell, but when she is propositioned by Franky Doyle, she is put in a different cell after calling Franky an animal. Meg moves Karen to a single cell intending to move Sally out; they find out that Sally has hung herself.

Franky Doyle is in solitary - she trashed the rec room after finding out her and Doreen Anderson were being split into different cells. Vera arrives to taunt her, only to receive her nickname - VINEGAR TITS

Eddie Cook arrives and takes interest in Gladys ‘Marilyn’ Mason, with the two eventually heading up to the roof for some romance. Bea meanwhile tricks Lynn while “teaching” her how to use the steam press; She burns Lynn’s hands and issues a warning. Bea dislikes people who commit crimes against children and has burnt Lynn’s hands for her "alleged crime.

Karen Travers has a flashback of murdering her husband. After watching them in the act, she went into shock, almost a trance like state, grabbing a knife, scaring off the mistress and stabbing her husband while he was showering. Karen even called the police herself to turn herself in and had blood on her dress when she answered the door.

Erica Davidson telephones the Bentley’s to locate their gardener, on Lynn Warner’s request. It was the Bentley family’s baby that Lynn was accused of trying to murder. Mrs Bentley answers and lies that their gardener quit “A week ago”. After hanging up, we see Mrs Bentley talk to her crying baby, suggesting that she is the one who buried her baby and not Lynn at all.

Officer Anne Yates lets Bea out of her cell after lights out and lets her into Lynn’s cell. Bea threatens Lynn with changing her story about the steam press, as Bea is getting out on parole the following day.

I’ve never watched an episode …

1 Like

It’s complete rubbish, terrible acting, dodgy plots but it’s weirdly addictive :rofl:

2 Likes

Joan Ferguson, now she was scary :scream:

My photo on my bus pass looks like I’m straight out of Cell Block H :rofl:

1 Like

I think that she’s the new one - I think that this is the original Freak:

:scream:

1 Like

Oh my goodness, yes, you’re right, really scary :scream:

Looks like a mod on another forum I used to visit…….:rofl:

1 Like

Now you’ve only gone and done it, I watched the first ever episode again last night and now I’m hooked again……

My old man’s threatening to hide the remote :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll be watching episode 2 tonight … :tv:

1 Like

I had to watch 2, 3 and 4 in succession - such drama … :scream:

Summary

2 Franky seizes the chance to take over and announces she is now in charge.

3 With Franky’s hold growing, temperatures reach boiling point in an all-out riot.

4 Rosie gives birth to a boy, and Eddie tells Marilyn he saw who stabbed Bill.