Novak Djokovic told to Bugger Off

Hmmm, well, if he’s one to publicly express anti-vax opinions he’s probably liking the publicity and hoping too get into court.

1 Like

wow political interference eh.

All visiting tennis players should support him and refuse to play in Australia, vaxxed or not.
This clearly has nothing to do with covid because the vaccines are doing nothing to stop the spread of the virus. It’s about control… :-1:

Djokovic’s stance on vaccines from what I could find.

"“I see that the international media has taken that out of context a little bit, saying that I am completely against vaccines of any kind,” he said. “My issue here with vaccines is if someone is forcing me to put something in my body. That I don’t want. For me that’s unacceptable. I am not against vaccination of any kind, because who am I to speak about vaccines when there are people that have been in the field of medicine and saving lives around the world? I’m sure that there are vaccines that have little side effects that have helped people and helped stop the spread of some infections around the world.”

But Djokovic did express concern about potential issues with a coronavirus vaccine.

“How are we expecting that to solve our problem when this coronavirus is mutating regularly from what I understand?” he said."

1 Like

Good Man, common sense for a change from a brilliant sportsman.
The vaccines haven’t done much good here have they…

UK
Cases 13,835,334 Change: 193,814
Deaths 149,284 Change: 343
Critical 911
Cases per Million 202,198

Wish they’d tell our cricketers to bugger off .

3 Likes

Why should he get away with it? It shouldn’t be one rule for one and one for another. He should follow the rules control or not. I personally hope he gets booted out, he up his own arse

4 Likes

I agree with you Queenie, he knew the rules in Australia so he should have stayed away. Why should he have special treatment?

Maybe the vaccine isn’t 100% perfect but it has saved many, many lives, goodness knows how many would have died without it. I’m so thankful that I was offered my vacs.

4 Likes

It’s no different to discrimination of any one else. Black, White or on religious grounds.

Nonsense .

This isn’t discrimination, he is committing a wrongdoing to the country who has worked so hard at trying to keep their people safe. I’m sorry Foxy, I have to disagree on this one. That man should respect the country’s rule he is visiting.

4 Likes

I bet they let him in … so many big wigs are making a fuss about it…Hope they don’t though not if he is breaking any rules.

1 Like

As I understand it the visa was issued by a state government working with Tennis Australia and state medical boards.BUT

Immigration is a federal responsibility and Border Force deals with immigrants on a case by case basis at the time of entry.

Feel sorry for poor PM, Scotty from Marketing, trapped between an egalitarian society, Australia’s love of sport and an election within 6 months and not an opportunity to smirk

Scotmo can handle it he’s a tough nut and anyway it’s been handballed to the high court so out of all political hands if you can call the high court judges apolitical - but they didn’t seem to get the archbishop decision right?

Ya gotta laugh, ScoMo was a nickname Scotty gave himself, I think you must be the only person outside of the Cabinet that uses it.

I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal being vaccinated if you have a negative test. I don’t see how he would have any impact on straining their health services seeing as he could afford his own private health unit dedicated to him.

2 Likes

Them’s the rules

1 Like

That’s what it sounds like from the little I’ve read about this.

This would be like Biden overriding New York’s authority to grant an exemption for one celebrity player for a sporting event based on a technicality of paperwork.

What’s the message that it’s sending? That the government can’t decide on its policies? That the States don’t have power to grant exemptions? That the government can’t coordinate within the country?

What happens to all the other people in the Australian Open who were granted the same exemption? (Based on the article, it sounds like there were others) Will they be turned away also? If not, why? If so, will there be enough people to hold the tournament?

The Australian Constitution defines the roles of the State, territories and the Federal government. Immigration is solely the responsibility of the Federal Government.

51. Legislative powers of the Parliament

The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power12 to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to:

1. trade and commerce with other countries, and among the States;
  2. taxation; but so as not to discriminate between States or parts of States;
  3. bounties on the production or export of goods, but so that such bounties shall be uniform throughout the Commonwealth;
  4. borrowing money on the public credit of the Commonwealth;
  5. postal, telegraphic, telephonic, and other like services;
  6. the naval and military defence of the Commonwealth and of the several States, and the control of the forces to execute and maintain the laws of the Commonwealth;
  7. lighthouses, lightships, beacons and buoys;
  8. astronomical and meteorological observations;
    9. quarantine;
  9. fisheries in Australian waters beyond territorial limits;
  10. census and statistics;
  11. currency, coinage, and legal tender;
  12. banking, other than State banking; also State banking extending beyond the limits of the State concerned, the incorporation of banks, and the issue of paper money;
  13. insurance, other than State insurance; also State insurance extending beyond the limits of the State concerned;
  14. weights and measures;
  15. bills of exchange and promissory notes;
  16. bankruptcy and insolvency;
  17. copyrights, patents of inventions and designs, and trade marks;
  18. naturalization and aliens;
  19. foreign corporations, and trading or financial corporations formed within the limits of the Commonwealth;
  20. marriage;
  21. divorce and matrimonial causes; and in relation thereto, parental rights, and the custody and guardianship of infants;
  22. invalid and old-age pensions;
  23. 13the provision of maternity allowances, widows’ pensions, child endowment, unemployment, pharmaceutical, sickness and hospital benefits, medical and dental services (but not so as to authorize any form of civil conscription), benefits to students and family allowances;
  24. the service and execution throughout the Commonwealth of the civil and criminal process and the judgments of the courts of the States;
  25. the recognition throughout the Commonwealth of the laws, the public Acts and records, and the judicial proceedings of the States;
  26. 14the people of any race for whom it is deemed necessary to make special laws;
    28. immigration and emigration;
  27. the influx of criminals;
  28. external affairs;
  29. the relations of the Commonwealth with the islands of the Pacific;
  30. the acquisition of property on just terms from any State or person for any purpose in respect of which the Parliament has power to make laws;
  31. the control of railways with respect to transport for the naval and military purposes of the Commonwealth;
  32. the acquisition, with the consent of a State, of any railways of the State on terms arranged between the Commonwealth and the State;
  33. railway construction and extension in any State with the consent of that State;
  34. conciliation and arbitration for the prevention and settlement of industrial disputes extending beyond the limits of any one State;
  35. matters in respect of which this Constitution makes provision until the Parliament otherwise provides;
  36. matters referred to the Parliament of the Commonwealth by the Parliament or Parliaments of any State or States,15 but so that the law shall extend only to States by whose Parliaments the matter is referred, or which afterwards adopt the law;
  37. the exercise within the Commonwealth, at the request or with the concurrence of the Parliaments of all the States directly concerned, of any power which can at the establishment of this Constitution be exercised only by the Parliament of the United Kingdom or by the Federal Council of Australasia;
  38. matters incidental to the execution of any power vested by this Constitution in the Parliament or in either House thereof, or in the Government of the Commonwealth, or in the Federal Judicature, or in any department or officer of the Commonwealth.

Anything not mentioned in section 51 is the responsibility of the individual state and the state parliaments pass legislation regarding them.

What I want to know Bruce is when will you Queensland let us in ?
( without us paying two weeks horribly expensive quarantine )