Not the Best of Days today

Hi

Got a huge bargain, a large 3 seater sofa, a 90 %reduction on new from the Hospice Shop.

Paid for delivery as well.

It is 6mm too big to get through the front door so had to be taken back, got a refund, but not on delivery.

The old leather one is already out in the back garden, soon to be chain sawed up for disposal.

My mistake, entirely down to me.

1 Like

So sorry Swimmy. That’s such tough luck.

:hugs:

just 6mm’s !!!

2 Likes

Hi
Yep.
Such is life, a legacy , you would need an hydraulic spreader to crack the brickwork to get in.
It is a high security door.
The old one is already in the garden ready for cutting up and going to the tip.

Many years ago I made a similar mistake with a sofa bed but found that by removing the sofa’s legs, the door and by holding it at the right angle it just squeezed in.

The delivery men were completely unfazed, they said they would remove a window if necessary but they would get it in.

On the other hand every day spent on this side of the grass is a good day.

1 Like

Rear door or window(s) not an option then?

You could have borrowed my:

Hi

Nope, not an option.

Front and side door are high security, back garden is 2m high anti climb fencing to the school and rear garden has razor wire, with one slide out panel.

I have another one arriving Tuesday, it will fit through, but having to take two internal doors off.

Furniture sizes can be deceptive I know. When I did the loft conversion here to make a hobby room/office, we decided to get a sofa bed to make it a spare bedroom if ever needed. I knew the stairs were going to be tight and after lots of measuring we opted for one from Harvey’s. When it was delivered it took the two delivery men and myself around twenty minutes of huffing, puffing, pushing and pulling to get it around the corner and up the stairs, and I had to virtually re- decorate the whole area afterwards to repair the scratched plasterwork and paint!

One thing’s for sure, if we ever move then that sofa bed isn’t going with us…:rofl:

1 Like

Thats hard luck swimmy…hate to lose a bargain like that :frowning:

Swimmy, wasn’t there any way of taking it around to the back, to get it through your patio doors?
Or don’t you have any?

That’s tough swimmy. I don’t imagine there was anything you could have checked in advance to be sure whether it would fit through the door, so not really your fault. Wouldn’t it be nice if stores told you how wide a door needs to be for a given item to be delivered!

On a similar note, I don’t understand why furniture seems to be getting bigger at the same time as a lot of properties are getting smaller :102:

1 Like

There is a tape measure which is very useful in this situation. :grinning: :grinning:

Not really. Experienced removal people know how to get large items through narrow spaces, like upending a sofa, for example, and twisting it while feeding it through the door. Not very easy for the layman to measure in advance for that manoeuvre.

1 Like

I accept that but it does not hurt to run a tape measure around a large item,

Yes I know a few who had purchased a three piece suite in the sales, ending up with the same problem

We remove the double glazed unit from the window in the front room

sorry to hear Swimmy, bet you were peed off.

I remember in our first ever home we had to remove the bedroom window to get the bed in because the staircase was so windy and narrow they couldnt get it in, same when we were moving, window had to come out again.

Hope you have something to sit on till the new one arrives!

Shame about missing out on such a bargain

1 Like

It’s a pity sofas seem to be one of the exceptions of Flat Pack furnishings

I know when I was an apprentice, working for a large village based builder, we were occasionally asked to remove glass from a window to get large furniture etc in & out. And back then double glazing was not as common as it is today. Back then it involved removing putty & a large pane of fragile glass.

Sadly it is almost impossible to know if something large will fit through a door, until tried & sometimes, you can get it through a door & then not into the room required. Trial & error is the only tape measure that tells us if t will, or won’t all too often.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t hurt. But it doesn’t help either.