Not Learning To Drive

Out of curiosity, do we have any members here who can’t drive?

I know for some due to medical reasons ,some are unable to learn to drive…

My window cleaner was unable to learn to drive as he suffers with epileptic fits.

Also are you a driver?..and how long have you been driving for?

Over 40 years I’ve been driving.

I can drive, I even passed my test, but I don’t.

I’m just rubbish at it and dangerous. Plus terrified. They have to unpeel my fingers off the steering wheel when I’ve driven, Because I’ve been holding on in a vice like grip :scream:

3 Likes

I have been driving for the last 60 years, that hardly seems possible but it is. That includes motorcycles too. Unfortunately my insurance company will only give me a maximum of nine years No Claims Bonus, they seem to object to giving me the other 51 years for some reason! Depending on the discount but it’s probably as that might mean free insurance every year!
:grinning:

1 Like

That’s a shame Maree, I can understand your concern, you know your capabilities.

My sister in law learnt to drive, but never went for her test as she said it wasn’t for her, she is also of a very nervous disposition…:frowning:

1 Like

60 years under your belt, probably one of the safest drivers on the road…have you ever had an accident?

You have just described my sister perfectly.
Who takes after our mum, who stopped driving in the late 1970’s because it started to terrify her too.

2 Likes

I passed my test in 1969 at the 3rd time of asking.

1 Like

I’ve been driving for 62+yrs and also an IAM Road-Smart (cat 2) member who also has been through Pass Plus. Am I safe? All of UK drivers should be continuously learning, including me and also keeping up to date with the latest Highway Code, so hopefully I am safer that some drivers using the highways and country lanes of this country.

2 Likes

Ssshhhh, I will say it very, very quietly, just in case – no accidents – well, none for which I was to blame, every vehicle except two has been driven into though. Each of those shunts was due to others driving far too close, ‘tailgating’ as it’s called. Very annoying too as it’s the most common reason for accidents and totally avoidable. :frowning_face:

Either of these shown below would have prevented those ‘accidents’:

• Only a fool breaks the two-second rule

• Allow one car length between you and the vehicle in front for every ten miles an hour of your speed,
and even more on wet or icy roads
:grinning:

1 Like

Name matches. :grin:

been driving for 60 years on a clean licence. One time I didn’t have one for 18 months the eye surgeon who said I was’t to drive and surrender my licence. Got it back after the DVLA eye test, 18 unnecessary wasted months

1 Like

a non driver here , always got about on a Bike , Bus , or my Chauffeur drove me places …

1 Like

Eliza,I won’t be able to give up my bus travels, I have met some lovely people and thoroughly enjoy chatting with them,:grin:

yes me too , been all over England on Coach’s never held me back not driving.

1 Like

Been driving for 32 years. Was late comer to driving. Had always lived close to work, or near public transport. However as the wife was pregnant and she said she wasn’t going to drive herself to the hospital (which I thought was unreasonable :joy:) I had to learn.

2 Likes

My mother was very late in passing her test, I think she went about 6 times, she was a dangerous driver imo, I could not let her drive me anywhere, she only drove locally.

I remember a few times where she could have been involved in a nasty accident, second time it happened that was it,I couldn’t be driven anywhere by her, so I did all the driving if we went out together.

Have been driving for 41 years, 30 of them was driving vans as my job as a service engineer, been all over driving in every condition imaginable, seen some things too…

1 Like

I hold car, motorbike, Bus, coach & trailer & HGV1 licences. I also have passed advanced driving for buses, HGV’s motorcycles & cars. The advanced driving for HGV was high security load related & involved anti hijack training.

1 Like

I can’t drive. Had a few lessons but never got any further. I was far too scared. My Dad said to me, ‘you ride horses everywhere, in traffic, stop at lights, manage roundabouts & nothing bothers you, yet you get behind the wheel of a car, a car you are in charge of, not a live creature & you go to pieces, you are weird!’ He was right. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The Portuguese can’t drive. I just happened to notice that when visiting their lovely country. Honk Honk :fu:

2 Likes