Not all tinned tomatoes are equal

Blimey Eliza, I don’t envy your digestive tract :lol:

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever bought tinned tomatoes, the real thing is cheap enough.

However I do buy tomato sauce in 2 litre bottles

Never mind the quality, feel the width.

I hardly ever use tinned tomatoes these days. Ideally home grown but I make a passata by slow cooking tomatoes (regular salad and cherry mixed) with a chopped onion and half a slab of butter in hot water. Then spritzing into a lovely sauce with a blender. You can use this as a base for sauces, tomato soup pizza etc. Tastes absolutely delicious and you don’t need any added cream as the butter makes it just perfect.

I agree and also don’t eat too many for the same reason as the nightshade family are mischievous food villains. But it’s nice to have them now and then for a bit of variety. Particularly in a nice tomato soup.

1 Like

I’ve just checked my Mutti Cherry Tomatoes - the listed ingredients are just cherry tomatoes and tomato juice.

For my Napolina Cherry Tomatoes (Selezione Speciale) - the listed ingredients are cherry tomatoes, tomato juice and citric acid. They were, however, only 49p a can at Home Bargains so I bought a couple.

Cherry tomatoes are, of course, replete with skins and seeds so are not suitable for everyone.

1 Like

These tomatoes, mentioned in the OP, have become available at one of my local supermarkets and are now my new favourite canned tomatoes for using in sauces:

There are no unwanted “green bits” in the contents so, although a full-priced can is relatively expensive (twice the price of the cheap alternative), there is no waste and sauces are “richer”.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/mutti-finely-chopped-tomatoes-400g

1 Like

Six plants grown in my polytunnel gave so many cherry tomatoes that I’ve got fed up with eating them. They are coming to the end now and I won’t be buying any tinned or fresh(ish) tomatoes for a good while.

1 Like

Do you freeze or bottle them then you can use them in meals all year round?

Mrs mart made soup for freezing out of many of them.

I’ve just made a large pot of tomato soup .
2 cans of whole tomatoes
3 carrots
4 sticks celery
2 onions
Lentils
2 veg stock pots
Sugar
Oil
Water

1 Like

yummie, thick crustie bread to dip innit

1 Like

Overactive bladder? Tomatoes is one of the items on the ‘avoid’ list.

Not entirely relevant perhaps but I’ve just been frying up some semi stale bread in lard for croutons.
Alas, the temptation was too much, sprinkled the fried Hovis with Malden Salt and white pepper, scoffed the lot… the croutons can wait.

1 Like