Norway's Freya the walrus put down due to fears for public safety

Freya, a 600kg animal named after the Norse goddess of beauty and love, became known in recent weeks for antics including climbing onto small boats and sinking them.

Through on-site observations the past week, it was made clear that the public has disregarded the current recommendation to keep a clear distance to the walrus," a spokesperson said.

“Therefore, the directorate has concluded, the possibility for potential harm to people was high and animal welfare was not being maintained.”

• I have no words :frowning_face:
1 Like

Hi
The stupidity of the human race.

5 Likes

Mans stupidity led to this animals death .

4 Likes

Exactly! It hadn’t harmed a hair on anyones head…maybe smashed a couple of boats, but to lose its life because idiots can’t leave it alone…it makes me so mad. More should have been done to move it, or protect it.

5 Likes

Oh no poor thing
In another such case they gave the animal who did this a pontoon of his own which solved the problem …

3 Likes

You might feel differently if it was your boat it smashed up, they are not cheap.

Sydney Harbour has seals though they are protected (like all native animals) There is one that is a regular visitor to the Opera House

Boats have insurance don’t they? I would rather lose a boat than have this Walrus lose its life for no apparent reason other than a “just in case”.

2 Likes

Bruce a walrus is a marine mammal, humans invade their environment and it should not have been killed because of our species’ perceived entitlement to do what they want, in or on the sea.

2 Likes

I agree 100% :+1:

I don’t disagree.

Terribly sad I agree but if there is a serious risk of public safety concern then I think there was no choice.

1 Like

Sorry Besoeker, I have to disagree with you on this point.
People were up close and in the water taking photos. There was no indication of any aggression (as far as I could read),
A Walrus is a massive creature and yes, could do some damage - but if everyone stayed away like they were supposed to…and the authorities worked harder to protect it or get it away, then it would still be alive.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m pleased that we can disagree and do so politely. Yes, people should have kept their distance but didn’t. Then then there was the damage to the boats. Thankfully there were no causalities but potentially there could have been and maybe would have been had the walrus continued. Difficult call.

1 Like

Absolutley! There’s no need for bad manners when voicing an opinion :smiley:

Hmm…well they should have moved the boats…moved the people…put a fence up…chased the Walrus away with boats and loud noises. Anything but kill it. But then, I suppose…during that interim period, if someone had been injured, I suppose it would be a different story altogether. Yes, difficult call to make…I just hope if anything like this happens again, they do it differently. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

I would have thought the best option would have moved the walrus to a different location but could could they have? We don’t know all the circumstances.

1 Like

Yes that would have been a better idea. Walrus are like seals, in that they are in groups (I don’t know if its called herds…hang on lemme check…yes its a herd) So…if this one got separated somehow, it would have been better for them to shoo it out into the water so it could find its friends again? But as you say, we don’t know all the circumstances…maybe they didn’t have the resources, or enough men to do it?

And maybe the physical constraints of such a beg beast?

1 Like

Yes…and heavy too. I think a crane would be required to heave such a beast out of the water and away somewhere else.

I think a ship with a net might have been better but we won’t know.

1 Like

I didn’t know that Freya the Walrus had spent time in Scotland too…oh this just makes it sadder :cry: