Non slip mats for bath

Thanks Bread, I had a look at the link and those tapes do look good. I wonder how long they last? I shall definitely look into these!

That’s good to know you’ve had no mildew problem with these Tabby. I’ve seen them, but wasn’t sure how good they were. Nice to get a recommendation, thanks!

I’m not so sure about the hydro wonder mat you mentioned, though - one of the reviews said that they wouldn’t recommend it for over bath shower (which is what we have) because it doesn’t grip well.

Sadly Omah, I’ve tried that one already, and it did ultimately get very mouldy - yes, it can be machine washed, but that will never get all the mould off. Thanks, though.

1 Like

My current mat is several years old and has never gone mouldy. It may be due to the “softness” of the water, much of which comes from the Lake District … :man_shrugging:

That’s interesting, because we’re in Devon, a soft water area too! I have to wonder whether it’s to do with our house being old - we’ve always been up against damp problems here :icon_frown:

1 Like
1 Like

My house was built in 1896 and used to have damp problems but I think I resolved those.

Maybe the mould is caused by what you put in your bath.

I’ve stopped mould creation in my washing machine by abandoning fabric softeners - I use white vinegar now.

Five years before ours was built! I also stopped using fabric softeners and use white vinegar instead, but it hadn’t occurred to me that the hair conditioner I use could be causing the same problems up in the bath. That could be the answer!

2 Likes

Thanks Queenie, but that article is about the other sort of bathmats, the kind you put on the floor, that you step on as you leave the bath/shower. I’m talking about the ones you put in the bath itself to prevent slipping over.

I do wish these things didn’t have the same name, it gets so confusing! We say ‘bathmat’ but do we mean an ‘in bath’ mat or a bathroom floor mat?

1 Like

Ooops sorry

1 Like

I actually use a hand towel Bathsheba,then drop it in the washing machine with the bath towel.

I don’t use the non slip bath :bathtub: mats.

1 Like

What? You put a hand towel in the bath to stand on while you shower?

I’ll never stand up in a bath again without some sort of non slip matting, not after slipping some years ago in a hotel bath and cracking a couple of ribs. Oh the pain!

1 Like

Perhaps I should consider it!

Thanks Bathsheba. I hope you’re doing better

1 Like

Yes Bathsheba,it is a guest hand towel and works fine.

1 Like

My bath mats don’t so much go mouldy, but a horrible pink colour. I wash and scrub but then I throw them away too.

Currently without one and my bath remains nice and clean.

1 Like

My bath would remain nice and clean without one - chiefly because I’d be scared to death to use it without one :rofl:

1 Like

I take it very slowly when showering, and hold onto the basin when getting out. I have been considering having the bath removed, and just have a shower cubicle, but the window may be in the way. With a tiny bathroom, and a short bath, I am unable to sit comfortably in it. Also, I need a hoist to get me out!

1 Like

Oh don’t I know that feeling! I haven’t been able to have a bath for a few years now, and I miss it sorely. The last time I attempted it (and oh it was so lovely while it lasted!), I got really scared when it came time get out, cos for the life of me I couldn’t work out how to heave myself up. Old age certainly isn’t for wimps, is it?

We’ve only got a small bathroom, but a full-size bath. The last time we had the bathroom done, we were unable to get the bath out without taking the wash basin out first, so the only thing we had in there until it was all replaced was the toilet :roll_eyes: :rofl:. Luckily, we were going on holiday two days after the bath and basin were removed, and all the work, including new tiling, was done by the time we got back.

The bath in my London flat was a full size, and I loved lounging in it. Fortunately the shower is a good one here. My sister, a couple of miles away, has a good size bath…no shower, which we would dearly love!

1 Like

I only ever have a bath if I am feeling cold and have aching muscles .
I do shower though :slight_smile:

1 Like