Noise cancelling device for outdoor noises in prototype phase

I’ve been looking for ways to deal with my neighbor’s noise. I read an article that talked about noise cancelling outdoor noises but it didn’t link to a product.

I did find this prototype of a device that attached to a window and can cancel the noises you specify. Supposedly you can leave in the chirping birds and rustling leaves but take out the traffic noises. They don’t say how it works or whether it will ever be sold. But it’s a step in the right direction for me.

2 Likes

That sounds as though it could be a good device … I’m interested :+1:

EDIT :point_right: Its powered by one of those button cells, so I’ve just lost my interest :-1:

Mmm, I’m afraid that looks like a bit of a pipe dream to me :frowning:

Would you have to have on for every window? And is the noise only coming at you from the windows? What about the walls?

I think noise cancelling ear buds might be all the cheapie help you can get, other than shooting them :rofl:

If you own the property have you considered better double glazing or acoustic panels and light fittings?

Meh, there’s already speaker jammers and decibel meters and other devices I hadn’t dreamed of 10 years ago. It could happen.

I’ve been wondering lately how much expense and damage to my property I should be considering to accommodate someone else’s illegal activity.

It’s a pain, I know, but if you can’t get them stopped the spend out might buy you some sanity?

You’re right. If it was just a matter of some music, this would be a different problem that your solution might make sense, although still unfair.

No sane, reasonable person would play music at an illegal level and risk arrest if there weren’t other things going on.

By enabling the illegal music, I’m also enabling other activities that I don’t want going on so close to me. Unfortunately, none of it is easy to prove or get enforced. Drowning out the noise of it wouldn’t give me more peace.

At this point, I’m only entertaining short term devices for the time between calling the police.

But that’s beyond the scope of this thread so your advice about the device may have been right for another situation.

Do be careful if you think they are up to other kinds of no good, because they can turn nasty :frowning:

1 Like