No sweets/no sugar diet

Don’t expect me coming round for tea anytime soon d00d…:frowning:

I avoid anything with ADDED sugar, I see sugar as the enemy. They put sugar in so much stuff that they don’t need to, even tinned soups, I never add sugar to my homemade soups.

people think yoghurt is healthy but some yoghurts have up to 20grams of sugar in them which equates to 5 teaspoons in one small pot! I eat Total yoghurt which is the lowest sugar content I’ve found

Honey IS sugar Lion Queen…:shock:

I’ve been eating lots of sugar all my life Lion Queen and there’s now’t wrong with me…:026:

We’ll go for some ale. :smiley:

I’m not much of a drinker d00d, you might have to carry me home…:confused:

I know honey is sugar but a drizzle is hardly excessive .

If you want to have sugar then you go ahead lad I said I see sugar as the enemy. I didnt mean everybody has to?

Sugar is known to cause obesity , my body doesn’t need or want added sugar , natural sugars are enough for me.

By the way foxy, honey doesn’t raise blood sugars as quickly as sugar. I use honey as part of my balanced food lifestyle

Pulling yer wire Lion Queen…:043:

Ya bloody little bugger ya! :075: :smiley:

Guilty as charged…:042:

Seriously though Lion Queen, it’s ‘Fats’ that do me…:frowning:

I’d been putting walnuts on my porridge for a few weeks cos I read they were good for me…At my weekly weigh in, suddenly five pound appeared from nowhere…:surprised:
Which rather surprised me because I tend to eat the same diet week in week out, and my weight hardly ever alters…Sugar doesn’t have the same effect. In fact I saw an experiment on the telly where these two doctors went a month, one only ate fats and protein, and the other only ate carbohydrates. At the end of the experiment, the one who only ate fats and protein was borderline diabetic. Apparently his body had forgot or stopped making insulin…:shock:
I would have thought it would have been the other way round…:017:

Congrats on starting your no sweet/no sugar diet and seeing some positive results already!

Refined wheat flour actually turns into glucose, and fairly quickly if it’s white flour. The effect it has on your insulin really depends what you’re eating it with, as fibre will slow that process down, but even wholegrain bread is fairly high on the glycaemic index. In some people, bread will cause a high insulin spike. Actually, when bread is cooled and then reheated, e.g. by making toast, that can increase the amount of “resistant starch” that our enzymes don’t break down but some gut bacteria love, so toast can be more beneficial than bread for some people. Whether bread causes bloating depends to a large extent on your microbiome. And the brain can get its energy from carbs or fats, so it’s not a simple do or don’t :smiley:

3 Likes

Directly, yes, but there’s a thing called gluconeogenesis, which means that our livers make glucose from other ingredients when needed.

2 Likes

How’s it going, Annju? It’s a very healthy way to live, for sure, and will help your brain and gut health as well! :sunglasses:

Thanks Angela, having been an ultra runner up to just a few years ago, and still going, albeit shorter and slower, I’ve always had an interest in diet and it’s benefits in order to push the limits of endurance, but I’m not an expert I hasten to add, so thanks again for your excellent input…

1 Like

Potatoes are also higher on the glycemic level than sugar itself - definitely not something you want as part of your staple diet imo.

Just out of interest, what kind of diet do you follow Angela?

1 Like

That’s why long distance runners eat lots of them Azz…
:running_man:

1 Like

Hi Azz, I tend to not eat until at least midday, and so do intermittent fasting. My meals consist mostly of protein and vegetables, with very few refined carbs. I like to add lots of fresh herbs and spices for nutrient density and the special health benefits of phytonutrients. I use plenty of extra virgin olive oil, and I avoid vegetable oils, but eat plenty of grass-fed butter. Food is quite individual, but this is what works for me :blush:

Ah… we follow a fairly similar diet then Angela!

I’ve just finished my experiment with a carnivore (then carnivore-ish) diet and am now back on a paleo diet (through an 8 hour window) I find it’s what works best for me though I would encourage everyone to try things like the carnivore diet as well, we’re all different after all.

Where do you get grass-fed butter from? The closest thing I can get is Isigny Ste-Mère Unpasteurised Salted Butter - I clarify it, like this :smiley:

Oh My! I have replaced sugar, for the most part

I put honey in my coffee instead of sugar (black) I also add honey to my tea in lieu of sugar (with a tab of cream)

My kids look at me like i’m crazy but it is good