Guide: Easy way to clarify butter

This is how I make clarified butter:

I really don’t like the method most people use, which is putting the butter in a pan on a low heat - I find that gives it a distinct taste (which I am personally not fond of!)

This way it tastes amazing :heart_eyes:

(And yes, it really is that colour - if you use a good quality butter (which only used to cost £2.20 when I first started buying it!))

3 Likes

How long can it safely be kept in the fridge Azz. I paid 6.99 for a tub of ghee last week, next time I’ll consider your method. Mind you , the cost of having the radiator on for ten hours these days could be a bit off putting.

2 Likes

What do you use it for? :thinking:

1 Like

i thought you meant you wanted to clarify it was butter and not margarine by reading the label :rofl:

1 Like

That’s brilliant, does it work on small amounts?

1 Like

I would think for a very long time Paul - when I went on the carnivore diet I didn’t really use much butter, so it stayed fresh for the best part of a year. If you wanted to keep it any longer you’d just need to use one of those jars that has a tap on the bottom, then tilt it slightly to pour the milk solids out (or, if you have a steady hand, just pour the clarify butter into a new jar and then use a spoon to scoop up the bits the won’t pour - this is what I used to do but now just put it straight in the fridge as you know when you’ve reached the solids) :smiley:

It probably wouldn’t take ten hours tbh, I made some last night and if you cover the jar with a cloth (so heat is more focused) it will clarify much more quickly. I think last night it took about 2 hours.

An alternative method would be to put it in the oven with just the oven light on (but that’s a waste for me because my rads are always on anyway :lol:)

For anything that you’d usually use butter :blush: Right now I mainly use it on top of steamed salmon :heart_eyes:

I hope you steer clear of margarine Bazza!! :upside_down_face:

Yes :003:

If any of you try it let us know how you get on! :023:

2 Likes

So what’s the advantage over normal butter, does it taste better or something?

1 Like

Will do … eventually :+1:

1 Like

Yes and yes :smiley:

Clarified butter removes the milk solids, so for those who are intolerant or want to avoid lactose and casein can clarify butter to make it lactose-free and casein-free. I think (if done my way) it tastes better too. It’s said that up to 90% of the world’s adult population are lactose intolerant (and casein is generally best avoided too).

Disadvantages:

• More expensive than butter as you throw the milk solids out
  • Requires effort to make

Awesome, let us know how you get on and whether you prefer the taste to Ghee (I think you will!) :smiley:

1 Like