No ads = respect?

I agree … party time, except of course when the deceased dies prematurely.

1 Like

Given that most adverts are for life insurance, funeral plans, and care homes…I think that it was quite thoughtful of them :joy:

4 Likes

@strathmore , l think you’ve got it there??
You don’t understand !! :+1::+1:

When l said goodbye to me bruvver a few years back, l gave him several
renderings of “Ghost Riders in the Sky”'at the after funeral party !
Me and I’m used to sing it together in the past !! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

The BBC is very woke conscious .
Did anyone notice that almost all the people lining the route that they spoke to were not ethnically British ?

1 Like

Except that is not reflected in TV ad spend. The biggest spenders, and thus likely to be the most common ads, are consumer products, telephone/media, insurance re-sellers (not life insurance). I could believe that your mix of adverts feature more during daytime TV. But I was referring to programming in the evening after the funeral was done.
I’d also note that the TV companies could have easily worked with the ad slot buying companies to stop possibly upsetting ads on that one day. But I’m not clear how an ad for a care home would upset someone who was watching below decks on the day of the queen’s funeral. Where’s the connection that’s upsetting? There was never any chance of the queen seeing out her days in Sunnyvale Retirement complex, was there?

I don’t mind there being no ads .

2 Likes

Some of the soaps were replaced by programmes that were far less suitable for a mourning period IMO

I saw that Channel 5 had some kids movies on. That was forward thinking, not disrespectful. You can’t expect little kids to sit and watch a funeral, and possibly be upset with some of their family members crying.

Well it’s all over now .

1 Like

Well, this bit is…you’ve got the coronation to build up for now. I imagine that’ll be an all day / no ads on tv / bank holiday too.

I was slightly concerned that Charles might have keeled over on the long walk and we would have to do it all again next week .

2 Likes

Not that I wish any harm to the man, but I think it won’t be too long (macabre, I know…but c’mon, he’s 73 and has / is undergoing a lot of stress right now)

1 Like

I mentioned somewhere that there are at least 25 heirs to the throne, so we could make it an annual event. Gotta be a way out of turning a profit from it.

was it due to respect or what they were allowed to show with the queens casket being lowered into the vault underneath.

Not sure, but a gaping hole in the floor probably not the best look. They all left by not walking over that part.

@Muddy ,. Is that so Muddy ??
Blood hell why didn’t l notice that!! :thinking::thinking:

This was the problem - some bod in a TV channel office making random decisions about what was suitable. If someone was not in the mood for a programme or seeing ads - guess what, they can keep the TV switched off. Simple.
Still not sure how an ad for shampoo would upset anyone…

I have no problems with there being no adverts. But it was obvious that this was a very selective thing. As most channels were advertising their own upcoming TV shows & why if they are not showing adverts do they instead show nothing?

I cannot remember which channel it was, but one satellite channel was not showing adverts & instead showing clips of live performances of light classical music. Which was very pleasant.

There have been some very strange ideas when it comes to showing respect. And not just on the media. But why has all that money wasted on flowers? It has been common for decades for people to ask for donations, rather than flowers.

The taxpayers have already donated most of the costs .
The flowers will be composted so won’t go to waste .