Nirvana sued by the baby from Nevermind's album cover

Oh dear…

Wonder what the outcome of this will be?

3 Likes

Well, that wins the prize for being the most stupid thing I have read all year!
The world is full of greedy people - him for claiming - and the lawyers who are allowing the claim to go ahead - being at the top of the list.

5 Likes

Well I did wonder why he is all uppity about it now? He is 30 years old…maybe he needs a new house or something :wink:

Elden has recreated the album cover several times as a teenager and adult - always wearing swimming trunks - to mark Nevermind’s 10th, 20th and 25th anniversaries.

“It’s always been a positive thing and opened doors for me,” he told the Guardian six years ago. “I’m 23 now and an artist, and this story gave me an opportunity to work with Shepard Fairey for five years, which was an awesome experience. He is a huge music connoisseur: when he heard I was the Nirvana baby, he thought that was really cool.”

He is now asking for damages of at least $150,000 (£109,000) from each of the 15 defendants, who include surviving band members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic; the manager’s of Kurt Cobain’s estate; Cobain’s former wife Courtney Love; and photographer Kirk Weddle.

He’s changed his tune …

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I hadn’t read as far down as that, or I would have amended my post accordingly. However, I did read it now, and this little bit made me laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.
“…“It’s hard not to get upset when you hear how much money was involved,” he continued. "[When] I go to a baseball game and think about it: ‘Man, everybody at this baseball game has probably seen my little baby penis,’ I feel like I got part of my human rights revoked.

I mean, honestly…nobody is going to look at him anywhere and think “oooh I saw your baby bits” now are they? And as you pointed out, it was fine for him when it opened doors for him career wise!
:018:

Just a money grabber, in my opinion.

1 Like

Gawd I hope not, what will happen to Houses of the Holy?

1 Like

Not identifiable…doubt that case would pass through court! They could try though… :open_mouth:

But it is well known who those children on the album covers are. I can’t tell you off hand but it wouldn’t take much googling to find out.

1 Like

You are making me go and look now, aren’t you? :smiley:

Ohhhh, now that is interesting, thanks for that!

Stefan and Samantha Gates

1 Like

Stefan said he returned to the site and listened to the album, feeling like a huge weight had been lifted from him. That’s quite profound…almost as if subliminally doing the photo shoot did have some sort of negative effect on him…

1 Like

Higpnosis sold the band the idea of a naked family, painted with silver and gold make-up, photographed at the remote, mystical rock formation of Giant’s Causeway in Northern Island.
The photo shoot featured two children, Stefan and Samantha Gates, aged five and seven respectively. They were chosen because they already had an established career modelling. Sam began modelling after she was spotted by a talent scout. With her brother she had posed for knitwear patterns and had also appeared individually in commercials and TV dramas, including for the BBC series Poldark .

The Gates family were put up in a small guest house near to the Giant’s Causeway. The plan was to capture the special light effects at dawn and dusk by shooting first thing in the morning and at night. The team were booked to be there for ten days, but for the first seven days it poured with rain, with overcast skies and poor light. For an entire week everyone would get up ridiculously early, the design team would cover three adults and two children with silver and gold make-up and then hey would all drive to the Causeway at 4:00 a.m. in search of a blazing sunrise that never came. Then they ran out of make-up and had to resort to using car spray paint. The two children, Samantha and Stefan Gates, and their stalwart mother, braved freezing conditions and extreme boredom and became thoroughly fed up.

One of the adult models, Mark Sayer, described the shoot for 100 Best Album Covers as being a “nightmare. Hot coffee, brandy, Mandrex, freezing rain, turpentine, tepid baths, bad food, boredom, damp beds, and misery.”

There’s more in the article …

:newspaper:

1 Like

Did his parents give permission for his image to be used at that time? Very interesting

1 Like

Yes…that’s why I am puzzled about it all…his parents were ok about it…the guy himself was ok about it, until one day he woke up and suddenly wasn’t ok about it! Very bizarre!

1 Like

Times have changed. He could have a case if the ‘permission’ to use the image did not contain a clause which states that no future claim could be instigated… I wonder if any precedent was set or if this is the first of its kind…

Who would have thought of those things back then? They wanted a baby, they got one, paid for the rights to use the image - parents happy. Nobody probably imagined the baby would grow up, be all “Hey, I’m the Nirvana Baby, how cool am i?” to find he changed his tune (ha, pun, sorry!) to “Hey, I’m the Nirvana Baby and I’m butt naked!! That’s not cool at all!”

1 Like

Must admit I can see why he’s annoyed.
Bet his mates call him Little Willie!

1 Like

:rofl:

https://sfae.com/Artists/David-Montgomery/Jimi-Hendrix-Electric-Ladyland-Nudes-(European-Alb

1 Like

Sorry Smithy can you try that again please? I’m getting an error message with it… :frowning: