Next door & how to handle pests!

i got fed up with all the whingers and know alls, trying to un subscribe from it doesn’t work

Going to try attaching a screen shot, Carol.

I run my coffee group through next Door. Nowadays members don’t know your full address, but a vague idea where in your road.

To find help, go into your profile, and look for a miniature cog. You will find it there.

I think it’s a good group, so I hope now you can rejoin, find your friends (and enjoy that cuppa!), and get some trades people in. And block that idiot.

Carol, Ignore him if you can’t delete him. Also, I think you were moving to a new location early in the new year. Maybe you will find new friends.

I think you can set it so it doesn’t show your full address but it will still show your street

I’ve never done the blocking thing but I think it just stops them sending you PMs and “connecting” with you, they can still still see your posts on the site

If you don’t want to see their posts, though, you can mute them, so you won’t see their posts but they can still see yours. A bit like on here when you block someone and their posts are hidden from you

I’ve belonged for about 5 years and find it very helpful for referalls , what’s happening, police info etcetc

I would suggest don’t put a picture up , if you do maybe a pic of something like a part of your garden or a flower , I have a pic of my sisters puppy . Use only part of your name or slightly miss spell . You could amend your address too .

.I like the site and don’t feel unsafe.

1 Like

@carol

I would re-join then start a thread “Nextdoor Help”

I enjoy Nextdoor but …

a man started sending me PM’s trying to be friendly. I got sick of the stupid waves he kept sending me so I politely replied that I wasn’t in the mood for playing waving games - that I was recovering from a heart attack & cared for my husband with alzheimers.

He replied that he thought I was a ‘wonderful’ woman and started wanting to talk about Alzheimers etc. I replied once more that I didn’t really want to talk about it & that I hoped he’d find a nice friend to talk to. He didn’t take the bl**dy hint & still kept sending me messages with kisses.

I was very aware that some people have mental problems & a rebuff could send them over the edge. I saw nothing more I could do so I sent him a message saying I was having problems logging on to the site. I then de-activated my account.

What shall I do?

I would hate it if some pest was out there and relatively near !

He’s not said anything wrong to me - it’s just he seems determined to be my friend & I don’t want a new friend - especially a 42 year old male.

You’d think my telling him about my heart attack & hubby with Alzheimer’s would have put him off!!!

A new location but not far away. :blush:
Within a five mile radius at most. I think it’s important to be near family as we get older.

I agree. Sort of. My. two girls are closer than when I worked but one is in Cumbria and the other is in Nottingham. My son still lives in London. My wife’s family are in Georgia. So not so distant…

I can only echo others and say that one person shouldn’t ruin a lovely experience for you. I would get back on there and just block him or simply don’t respond to him. He’ll move onto someone else soon enough. If you are enjoying the site, don’t let him spoil it. :hugs:

I was thinking Carol and maybe you’re feeling a bit vulnerable and unable to cope with him at the moment whereas normally you would just shake it off?

As the others have said, Block Him and see how it goes. I’m kind of hacked off myself with a member of another site, I have been on it for years and this newbie know all arrived several weeks ago, and seems to delight in rubbishing anything I post, and it’s starting to hack me off royally. I have now blocked her and I’m waiting to see how it goes.

From what I’ve read about the ‘Next door’ site. If you block somebody you will not be able to receive any PM’s from them. However they can still see you!

I thought the point of blocking was so they didn’t see you…

Don’t have a picture up Carol . You could report this person but maybe just best ignore

I will remove my profile picture & replace it with a plant from my garden or something similar…

1 Like

I’m on Next Door and don’t have any problems.
If a difficult situation arose with a member I would delete their PMs unread.
I definitely wouldn’t read them and get upset or annoyed
I don’t have a photo on my profile.
You can also block a members posts …

I just re activated my account & am pleased to see my potential male ‘friend’ has not sent me a message or a wave for three days. Hopefully he will have found a new friend.

The woman who invited me for a cuppa has seen me & requested a re-connect but I’ve decided I’m not connecting with anybody. She’s a bit too OTT. She calls everybody my darling & offers everybody a shoulder to cry on via PM if they have a problem.

There doesn’t seem to be much of interest in the way of conversation on there now.

I shall keep looking in for ‘event’s’ and other things of local interest…

Good you have reactivated your account and the pest has stopped, but a shame about the woman. Yes, you do get people like that, I’m afraid. That lady I started the coffee group with is always on Next Door, and sounds similar to the one you encountered. She answers every post, always ends with ‘hugs’, always promotes her coffee group meetings, and basically just annoys me with her ever presence!

It was said at one point that her husband works away from home, leaving her alone and most possibly bored. She has custody of two grandchildren (twins) and probably uses the site when they are in bed, or she can’t sleep. She wants to heal and help everything, I often think!!