New Year Honours: Whitty, Van-Tam and Blair knighted, Lumley and Redgrave made dames

Tony Blair what the heck. War mongering puppet of Bush. Cant stand the sight of him. Im glad Chris Whitty an Van Tam got the knighthood.

5 Likes

You’d be first in line.

I might have this wrong because someone just told me it and my checking brain isn’t working yet, could be fibs.

But it it true that ex PMs usually get honours?

And that it happens in order, so because Blair hadn’t had one, those who were PM after him couldn’t?

If it’s true, they’ll be looking forward to their turn

They also said the delay was because the Duke of Edinburgh didn’t like him and now he’s gone, the Queen relented.

Can’t help it, I love ‘em, the honours I mean.

Totally unfair and arbitrary, illogical with grandiose names, the moral indignation every year, it’s so quirky and Brit, I hope it never gets cleaned up, sanitised and made logical and automatic.

Because obviously there are some on there that make my blood boil, some that make me shed a tear and a whole raft more that are just really well earned.

And everyone is going to have their faves and hates, we’re not going to agree with ‘em all, are we?

But the devil in me also loves the indignation and the rows
 off to find one I really disapprove of 

I do not understand that ‘appointment’ because the Order of the Garter, is England’s oldest and most senior order of chivalry. Chivalry and Blair cannot appear on the same page and still have any significant meaningđŸ€Ź

4 Likes

IMO these ‘Honours’ awards are a farce. Why should anyone be honoured because they run faster, drive faster,swim faster, be better at their chosen sport than anyone else.
How often do we hear of awards for. Lifeboat people who risk their lives for no reward. Mountain rescue people, firemen and women,. These are the people who should be hounered. They are the ones who are putting their lives at risk not these sports people and actors.who are there for one purpose, to entertain we the public and are getting paid sky high salaries for doing so.

8 Likes

Well Andrew and Camilla got it so at least B.air did something ( as opposed to being being mummy’s son and sleeping with the heir to the throne )

1 Like

Yes they usually do get honoured .
Prince Phillip got loads of honours he didn’t exactly earn either .

2 Likes

Farage should have been knighted instead of Blair.

Only because he, along with his cohort, AC misled parliament with claims of WMD’s that could target Britain in forty-five minutes. To avoid accusations of being wrong, just in case Bliar’s claims proved to be correct, they opted for being on the side of caution.

If Bliar had any sense of decency at all, (Ha!) he would turn the honour down as others have done in the past.

3 Likes

The only two PMs that have turned down the garter have been Neville Chamberlain and Harold Macmillan .

Daniel Craig’s was weird, wasn’t it? The Order of St Michael and St George?

“Originally bestowed solely upon those in high positions in the Mediterranean, the Order of St Michael and St George now recognises service in a foreign country, or in relation to foreign and Commonwealth affairs, for example the work of foreign-service officers and diplomats.”

The Queen does know he isn’t really a spy, doesn’t she? :joy:

Then there should be one more

The mind boggles.:slight_smile:

Not all PMs receive such honours. I can’t remember specific names, but I remember reading in the Telegraph of several who never received honours, so I stand by what I said earlier that if anyone should never receive an honour like this it must be BLiar.

Exactly.

1 Like

Indeed he should. Whatever anyone says, it was he who achieved Brexit. That places him above May and Boris, and in fact above any PM since Maggie.

2 Likes

Bliar

6 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Lennon in 1969 returned his MBE in protest.

Not a great lover of him but he did it on a principle.

Maybe others could do the same to show this war criminal Blair what decent people think of him.

2 Likes