New season Magpie fledgeling

Here is the first video of a new Magpie chick.
This one flew out of the nest a few minutes ago. I went and got my camera and here is the result.
I watched it initially fly from the nest to branches just a few feet away. The branches were very flimsy and as such, unable to hold the weight of the chick. It ended with it hanging upside down.
Unable to hang on, it let go and fell/flew down, down down until a bunch of branches broke its fall and the chick was able to right itself.
No way to tell if this is a male or female as I am below and in front of the chick.
Only when the back is in view can one ascertain the gender. Females have grey, or grey/white mottled feather on the back. Males have white feathers on his back.

1 Like

Very nice Brett :grinning:

I think both the young ones are mottled to start with M and F

1 Like

I never knew that. You are correct.

1 Like

Don’t get me started :grin:

1 Like