New Hobby or old one resurfaced

Well have posted on a current thread but has anyone started a new hobby something they have never done before or is anyone thinking of starting one or maybe restarting one?

I sometimes do a bit of dress making that i stopped doing because i couldn’t get the fabric, but now i can from a small shop in town.

I started making model planes, the plastic kits, of which Airfix is probably the best known, when I was a boy about 11 or 12, and still do

Who knows how you choose a hobby?
Why do some people knit & sew, or collect stamps, play football, go fishing, go pedal car racing,or do wood turning, and so on, and so on?
Perhaps we should really say that the hobby chooses you

For years I had an old sheath knife with a broken handle lying around in a drawer
When I retired I thought well, you’re capable enough, why not make a new handle? So I did

And that got me started on my new hobby of knife making
Some people grind & forge their own blades, but you have to be good & keen to do that, and have a decent workshop
I buy the bare blades from suppliers and fit my own handles, and from that i’ve learned another hobby -

Leathercraft. At first it was just a means to an end to make the sheaths, but I’ve become a bit more interested, and made belts & wallets

But both of these are hobbies; I don’t do then all the time, just now & again as I feel like it
As with most things, there are loads of videos on YouTube; I’ve learned mostly from that, plus by making my own mistakes

SLR cameras and photography. I’m naturalIy interest in imagery, got an eye for the fine arts, started with my first SLR camera in the late 70s … the camera was big, film developing was a bit costly, so got something smaller for holiday snaps, my hobby got left behind.

FFW to 2010, I got my first Digital SLR, learnt photoshop, entered competitions, bought another camera, lenses too, then another camera, more lenses. Now I still have the enthusiasm, but not the energy. My latest camera is tiny but powerful, SLR photography is becoming a thing of the past, with these digital viewfinders now showing a digital image rather than looking through the lens and seeing the real thing. Good, but not quite the same. However, a decent compact camera will still allow the user the fun of understanding the relationship between aperture/speed/ISO and making your own adjustments for your picture.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try these for quite a long time.

I finally make an executive yeah go for it decision and I’m actually quite glad I did. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube so it’s just a case of separating the wheat from the chaff.

These are solid rubber and quite hefty, I’ve got quite short arms so I’m going to be very, very careful!! :slightly_smiling_face: