New front tyres fitted

Our Nissan Xtrail has been booked in for new front tyres and brake pads. looking up the cost on the internet gives a good idea as to what the garage will charge for the parts. On top of this there is of course fitting- tyre balancing costs -labour and profit margine to be added. So on the internet the cost for parts is around £350 so I expect the garage (not main dealer prices) will charge around £450/£500.
This seems a lot until one realises the car was bought new in 2014 and now 9 years old , which works out to £50 approx a year or £1 a week. tghe replacement tyres will be the same as the old ones so no warning lights show on the dashboard that something is not right.
I say this because on Sue’s Honda Civic Estate there is is a sensor which triggered a warning light and the manufactures sensor setting had over sensitive tolerance even down to different make of tyre. iI took the Honda garage to adjust this on the diagnostic gear

RS, I have taken to buying my own parts then, getting a mobile mechanic to fit them. When I had the Brakes on the BMW done a month ago, I already had all the parts so knew the price of these, and, it took the guy 3 hours to fit them so, I knew the labor cost was going to be £180 (@ £60 per hour). I have the Alternator arriving tomorrow and know it will take 60-90 minutes to fit so, I know the bill will be £60-£90

I would have in the past jacked up the car on axle stands and taken the tyres to be replaced and balanced. Fitting new brake pads at the same time is very easy even adding Molyslip to stop brake squeal. With the boss " er indoors" it would be a battle to let me do and I would loose anyway hence having a garage to do it instead. I can’t even get away with a good fart without complaints

1 Like

Just back from getting the car (Nissan Xtrail) with new front tyres- brakepads and balancing cost £414 , that is a bit cheaper than I expected, same tyres as before. Now “er indoors” is happier. the old tyres still have about 1+ mm above minimum tread and done about 28,000 miles. Not as many as I expected but it is quite a heavy car, but better than my Toyota landcruisers VX 4.2 diesels which only did about 15,000 miles on front tyres and at the time and each tyre around £500 fitted

I fitted new front brake discs and pads to my Peugeot 508 over the weekend. The dealership quoted £440 which sounded pretty steep, so I bought new Mintex discs and pads for £139 and did the job myself, took about an hour per wheel and saved myself £300… :+1:

Barry The discs are ok on mine and I don’t have a disc puller anyway , just the pads and tyres needed replacing.
the only reasons I know of for new discs is they got badly scored with pads worn out down to metal work or over heating causing distortion. done that many times when i worked with a car mechanic on customers cars many years ago before I got married as a second job

Just worn down RS, but no puller needed to remove the disc.

Must have been well worn down then to need replacing, I can’t remember doing that in the past for that reason. One sign of distortion is steering wheel judder under breaking

The car has done 65000 miles RS, it is also automatic so the brakes get much more wear. We had the rear ones done at the last MOT, so should be good for another 20k now. I don’t believe in skimping with brakes…

I have had a Toyota Landcruiser VX 4.2 deisel auto even with voice activation for different functions (dead posh it was and fuel heavy)yes a lot heavier with brake use , easier to drive sure but less control on the engine I found such as keeping in a lower gear. Much prefer a car with manual
gears.
Also had a Ford explorer 4.2 deisel, like sitting in an armchair at home, only problem wikth that was trying to decide which was the fuel guage and which was the mileometer, the fuel guage went down quicker.
Also had an Isuzu Citation at one time and a honda CRV, then there have been the Toyota 4 Runner and 3 other landcruisers, In the toyota landcruiser 4.2 your king of the road ,pity they stopped them over here

Good to see you knocking about Barry.

1 Like

Quite a few ambitious DIY enthusiasts around here. Chapeau.