New extrnl hard drive

I thought it about time I added a new extrnl hard drive for extra storage space and a 5tb drive came this afternoon. still keeping other hard drives but decided this one would be for the 4k videos from the new camcorder. what a difference in size

left 2TB mains ---- right 5TB usb powered

It’s amazing, isn’t it?

Did you see the handy batch file I uploaded for you? (to copy the files over from your main computer)

BTW You’re not comparing like with like what is even more fascinating is to compare USB powered drives. I have a number and the weight difference is incredible. They are all the same size but the latest ones are twice (or more) the capacity but much lighter.

I only wanted to copy certain files over not batch files the rest are on 3 other drives tripuled so well backed up.
this new 5TB hdd actually stores in alphabetical order which will make things easier

I think you misunderstand the batch file is the code that does the copying. You can pick and choose what you copy, for example you can set it to only copy files which have been created after a certain date or have a certain prefix/suffix in their name (ie copy videos but not stills)

Once it is set up it will do the job for ever automatically.

I have some of these, not quite so large but bigger than i will ever need. The trouble is a) if you lose them b) if they become incompatible with new tech. I’m still trying to figure out how to transfer data from an old windows 98 processor…

Funny you should mention that. On Monday I have going to copy files from a DVD to either a thumb drive or a USB hard drive for a lady I know. Part of the problem is that computers are no longer equipped with DVD players/recorders

1 Like

obsolescence is so annoying

1 Like

Sorry Bruce I never have been taught or shown anything computer tech wise so I do things the way I know how. For me the way I do things work for me and too old to learn anything new.

My computer my son built for me to my spec and needs so had a cd/dvd drive. it might be about 10 years old and I have added to it since then ie RAM -quiet fans- new graphics card - internal storage hdd’s- larger PU and other bits and pieces. May be a bit of an old chugger speed wise compared with new computers but it works and easy to fix if a part needs changing

amazing the advances in technology these days, faster smaller & cheaper.