New energy price cap adds £660 to cost of charging electric car at home

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/energy-price-cap-adds-660-to-charging-an-electric-car-aIvCc0A54RFe?&utm_content=other-stories&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=4183322-M_MW_EM_300822&mi_u=192780278&mi_ecmp=M_MW_EM_300822

The cost of charging an electric car at home will rise significantly on October 1. Some electric cars will be so expensive to charge that it would be cheaper to fill an equivalent model with diesel or petrol.

51% of electric vehicle (EV) owners bought their car because of the lower running costs that EVs can offer, according to a survey we ran earlier this year.

But with the cost of electricity rising to 52p per kWh, medium car owners, on average, will pay £158 more per year to charge their car compared to running the same sized car on diesel.

Those who are not fortunate enough to be able to charge from home, or otherwise rely heavily on the public EV charging network, will often pay more.

Lots more detail in the article.

1 Like

my tesla powered defender is always charged from the home charger point and cable. next time i fill her up i will have to note the number of units used.

1 Like

Rough guide from article:

1 Like

Mmm, glad I didn’t buy one

2 Likes

Vlad, Have you considered getting a car that runs on chip oil instead?
They are probably cheaper to run and the aroma gives you an appetite!

:grinning: cheeky I don’t eat that much chips! Anyway I use the air fryer

2 Likes

don’t forget to add in the cost of a replacement battery. this link will blow your mind

1 Like

Good grief.

The batteries are usually guaranteed for eight to ten years, by that time there will be places it can be done much cheaper

2 Likes