New data powers could allow DWP to snoop on pensioners bank accounts

I have nothing to hide, unlike those who implement the rules. Do as we like government. What about our data protection. :pensive:

What are the 3 rules of Data Protection Act?

Lawfulness, fairness, and transparency: Any processing of personal data should be lawful and fair. It should be transparent to individuals that personal data concerning them are collected, used, consulted, or otherwise processed and to what extent the personal data are or will be processed.

I’m fine with that. Presumably it’s if they suspect fraud and Pension credit is an area where there are lots of false claims

HMRC have been able to look at your bank account, and get details from merchandisers whenever you use your debit or credit cards in their machines for a long time

I’m all for anything that helps enforce people paying their fair share and not helping themselves to what they’re not entitled to

Unfortunately, it’s hard to legislate against and track down the big tax cheats and I think that should be the priority

1 Like

I can confirm the government have been doing this for years.

That’s ok if the gov are looking into your bank accounts, but, they will use it to adjust your state pension if you have other incomes, you will find your state pension will be reduced accordingly and your other income will make up the shortfall

I don’t think that is correct. The value of your state pension is determined by contribution, not from what other earnings or wealth you have.

4 Likes

Surely they can do that now with a garnishee order?

Probably, but do not know enough to comment. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have had a good read up on this. The banks already work with certain government departments and they red flag up anything they think is suspect. Large amounts moving in n out of the account. Drugs, ect ect.
The DHSS use it if they suspect any fraud going on, at the moment they have to apply for permission to enter someones account. This law will cut out that and they can go straight in.

1 Like

Hi
What annoys me is that the Government are always blaming those on Benefits , but ignoring the huge frauds and illegal tax evasion that goes on in the City.

2 Likes

I still use cash wherever I can, so the government can stick that in their pipe and smoke it…

2 Likes

Anyone know who this lady is? She seems good!

1 Like

the governments-desire-to-have-access-to-the-bank-accounts-of-every-benefit-claimant-including-pensioners-whilst-refusing-to-take-powers-to-tackle-tax-abuse-reveals-malicious-intent-on-their-part

About

Funding the Future is written and managed by Richard Murphy on behalf of Tax Research LLP.

Funding the Future, Tax Research UK and The Finance Press are all trading names of Tax Research LLP.

Tax Research can be contacted at:

33 Kingsley Walk
Ely
Cambridgeshire
CB6 3BZ

+44 (0) 777 552 1797

richard.murphy[at]taxresearch.org.uk

Appointments and sources of funding

My formal appointments and related funding are as follows:

• I am part-time Professor of Accounting Practice at Sheffield University Management School. The appointment is for a day a week starting in September 2021. I had previously been a visiting professor at Sheffield University Management School.
  • Through the Corporate Accountability Network, of which I am a director, I am engaged on the Time Mirror research project into the feasibility of sustainable cost accounting at Copenhagen Business School. This project runs for four years, commencing July 2021. The contract is worth approximately £17,000 per annum, not all of which will result in salary payment.
  • Finance for the Future LLP, of which Colin Hines and I are the members, is largely funded by the Polden Puckham Charitable Trust. It pays the LLP £70,000 a year to work on research and education related to the funding of the Green New Deal and related social issues. The income after costs is shared 60% to me and 40% to Colin to reflect respective work input.
  • I direct Tax Research LLP, which is a partnership with Dr Jaqueline Murphy. The main income of the partnership is donations made to fund the work undertaken on the Tax Research UK blog. Those donations to about £10,000 a year at present, but this sum varies, of course. The donations cover all IT costs and video production costs for the blog, plus the cost of eBook production. The remaining funds are then split between the partners with 90% going to me and 10% to Dr Jacqueine Murphy for her work editing and contributing to articles, posts and tweets.
  • I undertake consultancy work on an ad hoc basis for other organisations through Tax Research LLP, and I also receive occasional appearance fees from media companies, which are usually modest. I am paid approximately £360 a month for writing articles for the National newspaper in Scotland: these are accounted for by Tax Research LLP.
  • I am company secretary of the Green New Deal Group Limited, for which I am not now paid a salary.
  • Although I retain a practicing certificate from the Institute of Chartered Accountant in England and Wales my fee income as a chartered accountant is now quite low and only covers the costs of maintaining my registration and there are no plans that it should increase. I do instead plan to give up this activity when commitments to the few remaining clients permits.
  • Any other appointments I have are not remunerated.

The Tories want the British Public to panic and feel intruded upon, on hearing about this. Then, when the issue has become a huge concern and looks like a dangerous move in terms of keeping the public’s privacy protected, those same Tories will rush on in, on their white horses, in full view of the British people, and ban the idea and gain voting favour at the polls…they think!

3 Likes

Probably right, none will get my vote.

That is no surprise, because Britain no longer has a worthy enough party for whom to vote!

Sunak-looks-like-a-prime-minister-with-a-decidedly-short-sell by date

The possibility that the supposed most effective electoral machine in democratic history might collapse under the weight of its own in-fighting looks to be very real. It could happen soon.

1 Like

I do hope so…

This is a long term plan, a future government ( probably Tory) will be able to look at other income for those who are receiving state pension, it won’t matter how much you have contributed all your working life if you you have any sort of additional income they could reduce your benefit ( state pension) by however much you are earning or more. These are the sneaky tactics that the will ,and do go to, that’s what brexit was all about, control…wake up people and see them for what they really are…

1 Like

Surely that is the core problem with such a suggestion. If someone had been earning very good salary all his/her working life then by pension time their accumulated pension pot (ok, equivalent of such a pot as I know it doesn’t work that way) will be large. If state pensions were annuities then a pension pot would need to be a bit over £200k to fund the state pension levels. For some well paid it is easy to imagine (an equivalent) pension pot of double that or more after 40 years of contributions. Therefore such a person is giving away some of their pot (that is, funding other people’s pensions).
Then they get told they’re going to get even less of a state pension because of their other wealth. And they see someone who was poorly paid through their working life - and thus did not even contribute enough to create a pension pot big enough to cover much at all. And this less fortunate person still gets a full state pension. That is likely to cause all sorts of challenges. Probably legal challenges.
Then consider the impact on people trying to build modest private pensions. Such a change as you predict would in fact discourage this effort to build a private pension. Why should they when in doing so will reduce their state pension? Given that successive governments have been keen that we all build our own private pensions should they introduce legislation that actually discourages such private pensions?
Overall, your prediction seem fraught with likely challenges and doesn’t make any sense along side other policies. Which, given recent government ideas, means that you are likely to be completely correct and we’ll see such legislation debated in parliament in the near future!!

Yikes.

1 Like