New data powers could allow DWP to snoop on pensioners bank accounts

How do you feel about this?

Ministers have faced questions about whether new data powers could be used to snoop into the bank accounts of state pensioners.

“As we have been reminded, new clause 34 will give the Government the right to inspect the bank account of anyone who claims a State Pension, which is all of us. It will give the Government the right to look into the bank account of every single one of us at some point during our lives, without suspecting that we have ever done anything wrong, and without telling us that they are doing it.

“The Minister said earlier that the powers of the state should be limited to those absolutely necessary, and I have always understood that to be a principle of the Conservative party. Yet on the power in the new clause to look into the bank account of everybody claiming a State Pension, he was unable to give us any reason why the Government should do such a thing, or why they would ever need to look into the bank accounts of people - everybody - claiming a State Pension.

“What on earth would the Government need to do that for? The entitlement to the state pension is not based on income, savings or anything like that, so why would the Government ever wish to do that?”

I’d better hide away my millions!:sweat_smile:
I recently got my state pension which includes an element of Pension Credit.
The latter is means tested and when applying I was asked how much I have in the bank.
I was truthful because I assumed they would want proof.
I was never asked for said proof….so I have this nagging doubt it is already happening.
This is the thin edge of the wedge and it is to be hoped this government is out of power before such measures are passed.
This is also the government that has been forced to deny they are considering means testing the State Pension.
Does anyone think a government department should be allowed to snoop on our accounts without good reason?
I don’t!
We are not living in a dictatorship.

2 Likes

Can the plebs have a quick “Nosey” into Ministers accounts, what’s good for the Goose…

3 Likes

It will allow future governments to apply means testing to the state pension, if you have other incomes like a private or workplace pension, then the government can reduce your state pension accordingly, we are heading for a dystopian future with this president mob, wanting to curb workers rights and trying to take us out of ECHR, now this, it may not be repealed by a labour government, just not used, but a future Tory one certainly will…

2 Likes

This was one of the post Brexit dangers, legislation of this ilk.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have problem with that. As a pensioner I have to report the details of my bank account to Centrelink makes life so much easier because they can keep an eye on it for means testing and I have to do nothing.

The Tax Office know everything about your bank accounts anyway. Tax returns are so easy now as they are already filled in with interest payments, share dividends etc. (not that I have had to submit a tax return since they automatically started refunding franking credits.

Really, and we know who is to blame; David Cameron. Never should have had a referendum if his Government were clueless to deal with a Leave vote.

Yet still at the next GE the electorate will [supposedly] vote Conservative or Labour to run the country. :rofl:

1 Like

My worry is that they will somehow find a way to steal money directly from accounts. The distrust of all political parties saddens me. I believed in democracy now I fear it.

1 Like

This was always going to happen as soon as we stopped using cash. The banks know everything about our lives and they are not to be trusted. The government have probably had access to our accounts for years but this will make it acceptable to use as evidence in a court of law. It’s the thin end of the wedge.

1 Like

I think that quite a few countries already have such measures in place. In many countries it is a legal requirement to provide the tax authorities with details of all residents bank accounts - in country or in other countries. Some Scandinavian countries even publicly publish the tax payments of all citizens. And its pretty common that tax authorities can remove funds from people’s bank accounts for taxable values they deem due. So I think that UK citizens have been used to an environment where hiding stuff (like wealth or earnings) from the government is quite commonplace.

1 Like

I have nothing to hide, unlike those who implement the rules. Do as we like government. What about our data protection. :pensive:

What are the 3 rules of Data Protection Act?

Lawfulness, fairness, and transparency: Any processing of personal data should be lawful and fair. It should be transparent to individuals that personal data concerning them are collected, used, consulted, or otherwise processed and to what extent the personal data are or will be processed.

I’m fine with that. Presumably it’s if they suspect fraud and Pension credit is an area where there are lots of false claims

HMRC have been able to look at your bank account, and get details from merchandisers whenever you use your debit or credit cards in their machines for a long time

I’m all for anything that helps enforce people paying their fair share and not helping themselves to what they’re not entitled to

Unfortunately, it’s hard to legislate against and track down the big tax cheats and I think that should be the priority

1 Like

I can confirm the government have been doing this for years.

That’s ok if the gov are looking into your bank accounts, but, they will use it to adjust your state pension if you have other incomes, you will find your state pension will be reduced accordingly and your other income will make up the shortfall

I don’t think that is correct. The value of your state pension is determined by contribution, not from what other earnings or wealth you have.

4 Likes

Surely they can do that now with a garnishee order?

Probably, but do not know enough to comment. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have had a good read up on this. The banks already work with certain government departments and they red flag up anything they think is suspect. Large amounts moving in n out of the account. Drugs, ect ect.
The DHSS use it if they suspect any fraud going on, at the moment they have to apply for permission to enter someones account. This law will cut out that and they can go straight in.

1 Like

Hi
What annoys me is that the Government are always blaming those on Benefits , but ignoring the huge frauds and illegal tax evasion that goes on in the City.

2 Likes

I still use cash wherever I can, so the government can stick that in their pipe and smoke it…

2 Likes