NetFlix: Tough Boats: Journey Down the Nile (2017)

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/info/81467050

I was watching this “docuseries” last night and, for several minutes, I was aware that something was amiss in the production but I couldn’t put my finger on it … :017:

Then I realised … Egypt was empty … there were no tourists … :scream_cat:

Everywhere that Holly went Holly was on her own … :open_mouth:

Even the famous “SS Sudan”, as used by Agatha Christie and featured in “Death on the Nile” was devoid of passengers:

However, as Holly pointed out, there were soldiers with guns … everywhere … :exclamation:

Normally, of course, Egypt is thronged with tourists so the effect of none must have been devastating … :thinking:

Join host Holly Morris as she explores the Nile River from Aswan to Luxor. On her journey, she visits some of Egypt’s wondrous sites —the towering Kom Ombo and Edfu temples, and Tutankamman’s gilded tomb. The camel market she visits aggregates and sells 100,000 wild Sudanese camels each year for agricultural work throughout Egypt. The rough treatment of animals here is quite hard to watch. The boats Holly chooses, on the other hand, is very pleasing: from the 1920s riverboat once taken by Agatha Christie to the Ottoman-era Dahabeya. Her two-day journey aboard a small wooden sailing Felucca is my favorite. At night, she and the crew step ashore to cook dinner over a fire of mango branches and unwind with some music. They sleep on board under a cloth tent and rise with the sun for a hot beverage. A must-watch for anyone dreaming of exploring the Nile River!

I understand that tourism is, once again, contributing to Egypt’s economy … :+1:

The film, itself, is a short, enjoyable time-passer … :star: :star:

1 Like